Cheap full range drivers in the u.k. Any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What cheap yet pretty decent full range driver are available in the u.k. i have been looking at the Audio nirvana standard 8s but they double in cost once sent to the u.k.

I have found the the CSS WR125S on mad about sound webpage but i thing they may be to small for my aplication in a small enclosure for a portable guitar amp. I will be using a battery powered t-amp and need to go pretty loud and reasonably deep. Also there sensitivty is too low for my application.

Any help on largish 6-8" full ranger avaible cheaply in the u.k would be very much appriciated.

Kind Regards,

Phil

Hi, Phil
If you're building a guitar amp look for a guitar speaker, totally different anmal to a hi- fi full ranger.
I'd imagine that a t-amp sounds crap overloaded so you need the pre-amp to set the sound and the t-amp to be driven linearly so to get any decent volume you're going to need at least 96b/W sensitivity, but thats common for guitar speakers.

I'd try googling guitar speaker chassis uk and see what comes up,
Theres a lot of guitar amp building sites out there that may have some good advice.
Good luck
Khush

I'd go for a pair of old Radioshack 8" drivers. Wired in parallel (they're almost always 4-ohm drivers), you'll have a nicely efficient speeaker that can be driven by a very small portable amplifier.

A T-amp is not what I would reccomend for your application. If you're willing to have it plugged into the wall, a small single-ended 6v6 amplifier (as is used in the Fender Champ) will produce about six watts of quality power and not cost very much to build.

Also, it's worth pointing out that your requirements are somewhat contradictory. 'Small enclosure' and 'goes deep' is not at all easy. You can have one, but not both. The only way you could approach both would be to sacrifice sensitivity. And T-amps really don't like being pushed hard as distrotion rockets with increasing output.

Thanks for all the advice.

The amp wont be plugged in and must run at least 6hrs per charge. Maximum battery size is a single 7 Ah or 2 X 3 Ahm due the weight. All of this means that a full range and a Class T or D seem about right, though i agree it is a wierd application.

I full appriciate that the deep part is probably asking too much by hifi standards. I just mean in relative terms and yeah the enclsure has to be quite small since it will carry probably 2 drive units the SLA battery a preamp, including Mic and line input all mixed and fx sending points.

The whole idea is to build a decent setup for a friend who is a street artist in . He makes pretty good money and asked if i could build something for him.

Highly sensitive speaker unit must be the way to go, any other idea for drive units avaible here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.