can fr125s do loud?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The fr125s looks very attractive for a minimalistic OB.
Should sound sweet with my normal music, Kate Bush, the Gathering, Portishead.
However I also like harder stuff, Sepultura, Tool, Rammstein.
LOUD.

I think the fr125s can do 40w continuous.
This sounds low to me.
Won't my 80w amp blow them up?
Does ayone else use the fr125s for metal?

A woofer for the low 300hz will be added to assist the fr125s.

Hi,

your nickname looks like a "Rammstein" song :D ?!

FR125S can play loud especially with a added woofer. The pure SPL is poor on FR125S (81dB) but with 6mm Xmax you can compensate a lot. Even when used stand-alone in reflex or with passive radiator FR125 delivers an impressive bass output.

Regards
Thorsten

>your nickname looks like a "Rammstein" song<
100% correct.
Neighbours are out and Rammstein just released the Voelkerball dvd.
Can you guess the rest?
Topped it of with some Wir Sind Helden.
Perfect evening for me.

Fullrange not for metal.
Not what I wanted to hear.
Was hoping the css fr125s was the one to rule them all.
Detailed, fast imaging for my normal music and still capable of high peak levels for my metal.

Css make me a pro version please.
80w peak should be plenty.
Just what kind of peak can the fr125s take?
Would my 80w amp damage it?

The Beyma 8AG/N is suposed to handle metal well but it would rape normal music.
Don't like the idea of an extra pair of speakers just for metal either.

Looks like a normal 3-way (OB) would be the best compromise.
Thank you all for you replies.

>At my friend's place we tried a pair of FR125S in 10 liter br to play some scenes from the Pirates of the Caribbean. No can do, the bass output with only two 4" drivers is not enough. In a very small room the effect is a little better though.<

A big woofer for the <300hz bass would take care of that.
My concern is for the peak levels of a full range driver.
Metal is not the kindest music for a driver.

>>> Hehehe, I'll answer this when I hear one
>>> (a BiB that is)

My Fostex 168S can rock (enough for me anyway). I am not a metal head but do enjoy rock on occasion in between the jazz. My 127e’s don’t rock as well as the 168s. The 206esr should rock better than the 168s so you may be in good shape there… especially in a BIB. I suppose the larger the Fostex the better it will rock. Like Geek, I’ve yet to hear the contribution a BIB makes.

My BIBs are primed white and ready for paint this weekend. The pine front baffle is sanded and ready for its grill to be fitted in place before staining/poly. This weekend should be productive. I might even wire one up!

The 95db/w Audio Nirvana drivers were stated as being very, very loud in one review. After all, 10 watts will result in 105db at 1 meter, and the 8" and 10" drivers are rated for up to 30.

Alternately, use more than one driver. Remember, two drivers are twice as loud as a single driver at the same power per driver, and a single driver takes 10 watts to do what two drivers can do with two watts.

NurEinTier,
To do loud you need a method of controlling the excursion of the FR125S. A sealed box, a high pass filter, etc. Another method of increasing the SPL is to use more drivers such as a bipole or line array.
But, put the FR125S into the standard BR running full range and expect 90+db continuous?
Not gonna happen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.