mounting speakers to front or back of 3/4" baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mounting speakers to front or back of 3/4" baffle

Hi! Got a pair of Saba 9" greencones for OB. My question pertains to mounting them to the front or rear of the baffle: with rear mounting, that ugly plate that the screws go through (see picture) will be covered up. But, the speaker will not be flush with the baffle, sitting 3/4" behind it.

With front mounting, the speaker will be more flush with the baffle, but that ugly-*** plate sticks out like a sore thumb. Which I don't mind if it improves the sound; but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I do it!

Thanks

Attachments

• 27_1.jpg
    27_1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 528
Hmm,

These look like they were made for rear mounting. After a bit of further reading, it sounds like designing drivers for rear mounting was only done because people didn't know better.

It looks like a better solution would be to cut a rectangular-ish (the outline of the plate) recess in the plywood to the depth that the driver is flush with the board. One other post recommended that a veneer with the circumference of the driver be put around it, covering up the ugly rectangular-ish cut.

If this is a good solution, what would I need to cut, say, a 1/2" recess into a 3/4" piece of plywood?

Thanks,
Andre

I do the greenie's like this...

DSC02701.jpg

DSC02700.jpg

DSC02698.jpg

I like rear mount to with roundover or 45 likestated from others. imaging will be differant from each way . If you front mount ,I recommend this. Is take small small cord weather strip, by MD & take it around the driver, take the rubber gromets you have & reverse them, use pan head machine screws with lock washers & all that ..also if you get a high mid peak, let me know & I have some notches that work for me with the 8 & a few other ways I get rid of it..none are ideal but do work. You might get lucky & have no high mid peak at all.. Also my imaging is outstanding, mounted out front. If you mount from back, a perfect hole is almost a must....I do mount vintage drivers from the back sometimes, but have had problems with image,, wierdness & lock & wierdness...hard to explain..just damn wierd. anyway..if you get that peak try .22mh-12ohm-4.7uf.. or roll it off with a coil @ 3500 & bring a tweeter in. which is bad ...these saba's have a nice top end IMO..not great extension for sure, but what is there is very good sonically...if your a tone freak, I am ....................I am trying my best to get the peak out with the least neg's....try & try again..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.