What would you build for mono music?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a lot of music that is mono, jazz and classical from 50's and earlier. Rather than put them through the stereo pair of speakers I've considered building a dedicated mono speaker. Along with this, would a stereo struggle with only one channel loaded? Several receivers that I have have A/B speaker switches and I could simply put the mono speaker on one side or the other of the B set. Or would it be better to use the receiver as a pre-amp for a monobloc amp?

Anyway I'm thinking an 8 inch full range speaker in a sealed box, integrated into an entertainment tower, at approximately ear height.

What are your thoughts?

Tom.

using a full range might be a cool idea for that type of recording because it is more like how it was originally meant to be listened to.

if you have sperate speaker a/b what i would do is use 2 different speakers, maybe a full range, different full range, oval speaker or something.

and put them on left and right outputs. but put them next to each other then you can tweak the mono sound depending on the recording. just by using the balance control.

Mono is still best with a single speaker IMO, with one exception. A single horn loaded classic driver would be my choice. Tannoy DC, Goodmans 201 / 301, Electrovoice or similar if you can afford it. If not, or if you want a new unit, then a Fostex FE206E, or possibly the new Audio Nirvana 10in driver would do nicely.

The exeption would be to have a stereo pair of speakers, but bipoles, which work superbly with mono recordings.

mono can sound very pleasing. I use an old technics receiver with mine, tuner is set to mono and cd player comes in through an rca splitter/combiner, only one channel of the receiver is used.

yamaha 12" / unknown 5" coaxial OB:

Attachments

• yamaha.jpg
    yamaha.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 192
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.