Is this considered a horn speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was bored last night and decided to build these out of some wood I had lying around.I have been using the Fostex FE126e in a 11.65 liter cabinet from parts express but wasn't totally happy with the bass from the MDF box.I decicided to go back to my thin walled pine and voila bass is tremendously deeper though the cabinet volume is 12 liters.The speaker now seems to go deeper in the bass and seems louder.The horn is actually a basket from Pat Catans craft store.Wynton Marsalis horn sounds a lot more real and cleaner.Does simply applying this to the front of my cabs make this a horn speaker?
IMGDEAD]

:D congrats consider nyourself lucky;) yes it is a hybrid horn encl, in essence what you have succeeded in doing is horn loading the upper bass and midranges to a degree hard to say how good it is or if it satisfies the purists around here :bigeyes: but as you say to you it sounds good and that is all you have to worry about not what everybody else says;) cheers and congrats:rolleyes: TC

qwad said:
:D congrats consider nyourself lucky;) yes it is a hybrid horn encl, in essence what you have succeeded in doing is horn loading the upper bass and midranges to a degree hard to say how good it is or if it satisfies the purists around here :bigeyes: but as you say to you it sounds good and that is all you have to worry about not what everybody else says;) cheers and congrats:rolleyes: TC

Thank's for the clarification and words of encouragement.

Are you interested in making it sound even better? Try putting open cell foam around the perimiter of the mouth. That will dampen an echo that is going to occur at the mout termination.

The foam isn't as important with a baffled horn, but with a horn radiating into space, it's essential.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.