TABAQ TL for Tangband

revisorn:
Build the original cabinet and change the 3 inch to a 4 inch. Two drawings in #3094 file, original with 3 inch, now 4 inch and the new 3 inch with adjusted port. Same box.

No, Björn J has designed a new box for 4 inch drivers. The new box have a larger cross section compared to the original and it therefore have a stronger bass.

I vaguely also remember this. IIRC correctly there were two designs, one with a larger cross section of I want to say 171 mm and 154mm of the smaller. I printed them out but getting to them would be a bit of a problem at this time. I will take a quick look on my computer later to see if they were saved.

I built the larger one and used a Visaton B-100. Its okay, yes more bass but it still cannot compare with my original with the 830987, the giant killer.

Could you point us to the new 4" design you refer to?

I vaguely also remember this. IIRC correctly there were two designs, one with a larger cross section of I want to say 171 mm and 154mm of the smaller. I printed them out but getting to them would be a bit of a problem at this time. I will take a quick look on my computer later to see if they were saved.

I built the larger one and used a Visaton B-100. Its okay, yes more bass but it still cannot compare with my original with the 830987, the giant killer.

Sadly I cannot find it in this ultra long thread, but somewhere here it is mentioned (in a enclosed document) that a box version for 4 inch driver with a larger cross section was developed by Björn J in order to achieve stronger bass. I think the new cross section was 171^2 but cannot remember any more details of the new box. This is the reason I asked the developer.

Sadly I cannot find it in this ultra long thread, but somewhere here it is mentioned (in a enclosed document) that a box version for 4 inch driver with a larger cross section was developed by Björn J in order to achieve stronger bass. I think the new cross section was 171^2 but cannot remember any more details of the new box. This is the reason I asked the developer.

Look around post #3094 in this thread. The revised TL design is there for both 3" and 4" drivers

Thanks audiosteve.

Indeed, that was the revision for the 3” drivers to balance the sound a bit.
4” drivers use the original plans.
Those drivers usually need to have a Qts of about 0.5. There are exceptions, but not many.

171cm2 is for the TABAQ large, drivers 5” to 6”.

Björn did come up with something for some other 4” driver with different specs, mainly a lower Qts. They need a little more room to breathe.

Here to read about it:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...tl-speakers-diy-competitor-2.html#post6293430

Hope that clears it up.

I think I got it...

Just as I remembered there was a version of the older box adapted to 4 inch drivers, more specifically the TB W4-1320. Björn J writes that other drivers with similar properties also can be used.

The enclosed doc shows the simulations done by BJ for a larger box using the TB W4-1320. The result is some stronger bass. However it would be interesting to see some more info on the length of the box and size/shape of the tunnel.

Attachments

• TABAQ 4 Inch volume.pdf
    125 KB · Views: 177
Last edited: