TABAQ TL for Tangband

Well, it's not a complete and sudden switch.
It's a 90 degrees slow descent. 3rd order have a 180 switch.

In my case, to get a better meshing from my W5 FR and tweeter, I had to switch the polarity on the tweeter. If I kept them in phase, they had some trouble getting along.

I said "you may have to switch the polarity on the tweeter"... The changes would be subtle and hard to pick without a mic.
But with a simulation app like XSim, and a mic, you can predict and see in the real world the effect of switching the polarity on the tweeter.

Well theoretically 1st order passive filter doesn't require to switch the polarity, for example Fostex suggestion of first order filter is never with switched tweeter polarity, one thing that I learn in my experience is the quality of the capacitor, in this simple filter must be an audiophile quality.

Normally a medium cap quality introduce around -45° out of phase. This is due to the time taken to charge the plates of the capacitor as the input voltage changes, resulting in the output voltage (the voltage across the capacitor) “lagging” behind that of the input signal. The higher the input frequency applied to the filter the more the capacitor lags and the circuit becomes more and more “out of phase”, so the use of Audiophile capacitor reduce the charging time of the plates with consequently faster response...all the best

Last edited:
Sweet... but the pictures don't show up
Yah, sorry - I tried to be fancy and post the pictures using the URL route. But clearly I could not pull it off correctly.

Here goes - pictures belonging to post #2759

Attachments

• CvdM1 - First Test.jpg
    CvdM1 - First Test.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 423
  • CvdM2 - Speaker Grills.jpg
    CvdM2 - Speaker Grills.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 424
  • CvdM3 - Outside Splines.jpg
    CvdM3 - Outside Splines.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 423
  • CvdM4 - Finished.jpg
    CvdM4 - Finished.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 423
A friend of mine finished a set of TABAQs this weekend (with my advice, help and inspiration of course). He used 12mm Pine plywood and Peerless P830987 drivers. The TABAQs are driven with a Pyle TPA3116D2 2 x 40W BT amp. Fortunately we managed to source the drivers and amp just before the corona crises started (and our currency tumbled to junk).

“Incredible! I can listen to this all night long” was his first reaction. Needless to say, he is extremely satisfied with the outcome and the quality of sound. He loves woodworking but this was his first speaker build. He used hardboard outside splines and more screws than needed for a more rugged industrial look. The boxes were finished off with a clear matt polywax sealer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hi there,

very nice build, I like the wood very rustic and I am happy your friend join the club of Tabaq's lovers..:cheers: ...just one question what is what I circle on the top of the enclosure? ....all the best

Attachments

• CvdM1 - First Test.jpg
    CvdM1 - First Test.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 155
Hi,
just want to say thanks to Bjorn for sharing the Tabaq and show my build of it.
I had some 12mm ply and 19mm MDF, so why not make a pair of Tabaqs.
The front and back is 12mm ply and the rest 19mm MDF. Upper half of the front
I used a router with a roundover bit. The speaker is a Tangband W3-315E and
stuffing 80g of polyester.

Attachments

• Tabaq_12_och_19mm.JPG
    Tabaq_12_och_19mm.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 337