TABAQ TL for Tangband

Hi guys, I´m working in a tab design adapted to the Faital 4fe35. adapting the size of the cross section to the sd of the driver and in consequence every other aspect of the design. I'm modeling on Hornresp and its funny that I have less ripple with the driver in the start of the closed end than offsetting the driver to 1/3 of the total length of the TL. But in consequence have a more radical bass roll off and a increase in time delay and displacement.

Its ok? or is any problem with Hornresp. ?

Thank you so much to all.

No, that driver is not fullrange.
It breaks badly higher up, probably a lot of distortion in the higher frequencies as well.

Looking at the cone, I'm sure it starts beaming quite low.

But if you add a tweeter and cross rather steep at 2-3kHz, then you might have something interesting.

You may be right, I've seen a couple of projects which could serve as inspration when using that small woofer in combination with a tweeter, I guess its possible to use the TABAQ box with these drivers and crossovers (since they also are narrow speakers)

Piccolata Mini Monitor

or

Speedster - undefinition

Last edited:
Old School
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Kjez's Question about Tang Band W8-2145

This may be late, and I hope Bjorn does not mind my interjecting something non-Tabaq into this thread. In regard to Kjez’s question of 22 October 2019 in Post 2482, about the Tang Band W8-2145, I noticed on the Parts Express site in the USA there are drawings of a TL line memjay built for the Tang Band W8-2145. See the April 1, 2017 comment in the usere reviews at<<https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-2145-8-paper-cone-full-range-driver-8-ohm--264-960>>

The line is a slightly tapered, folded one, so it is definitely not a Tabaq type. The internal volume is approximately 45.5 liters (1.68 in2), so its dimensions are materially larger than either the original 3“ Tabaq or the larger 4” and 5” Tabaqs on this thread of Bjorn’s. However, its dimensions are not beyond what can usually be accommodated in a typical domestic environment, and it probably is within the capability of a person who can build a Tabaq.

Memjay’s comments are as follows:

“I have come to think very highly of TB speakers, this one is the third TB project I have completed and am very happy with the result. I put this driver in a transmission line box hoping for a natural less Q-ie bass response. At first the sound was shrill but the speakers have broken in after a week of use and have mellowed considerably. Measurements show a 6dB roll off starting at around 48 Hz which is better than I had hoped for. Jazz, classical, vocals, piano, sound great with this speaker which is articulate and inviting. I am blown away by how good acoustic guitar sounds and sometimes get that "speakers disappear" experience many of us long for. I connected a subwoofer crossed at 40Hz and pop comes alive.

“I have included a sketch-up of the box for those who might want to try a t-line. I ordered some 3" mineral wool stuffing which I attached to one side of the entire line, stopping before visible at opening. (I cut a hole in it for the driver magnet.) Also added 45 degrees at corners inside the line which are not shown. Mine is built out of 13-ply cabinet stock and has a radius routed in the front baffle and around the opening.”

Having built Bjorn’s larger 4 “ Tabaq and liked what I heard with Tang Band W4-657 and W4-1052SD and folded TL’s (Planet 10’s Babylabs) with both Tang Band W4-657 and Mark Audio Alpair 5.2, I am thinking of memjay’s W8-2145 TL for a coming project. However, since I have not yet built it or heard it, my mention it simply as an example of what might be possible.

Finally make a definite version of my Tabaq with TB W5-2143, after I listen to my last Tabaq with Faital Pro 4FE32 for long time connect back the TB W5-2143 and I really missed the clarity and crispiness on mid/hight of the Faital so I decide to add an external twitter, now is perfect and match my expectations, with this tweeter also solved the beaming problem, just connected a 3.3 uF cap on the positive pole and that's it sound wonderful.....all the best to everybody

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 1.45.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 1.45.38 PM.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 589
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 1.45.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 1.45.02 PM.png
    339.8 KB · Views: 571
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 1.44.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 1.44.30 PM.png
    601.5 KB · Views: 566
Finally make a definite version of my Tabaq with TB W5-2143, after I listen to my last Tabaq with Faital Pro 4FE32 for long time connect back the TB W5-2143 and I really missed the clarity and crispiness on mid/hight of the Faital so I decide to add an external twitter, now is perfect and match my expectations, with this tweeter also solved the beaming problem, just connected a 3.3 uF cap on the positive pole and that's it sound wonderful.....all the best to everybody
Beautiful!

Hi Bjohn,

I am a happy Tabaq user since 3 years. I built the TABAQ box,and used in with 3 inch peerless. After seeing your update, I changed to 4 inch fullrange,. ( A Chinese rebranded import named Dainty). To me, this serves very well and I am extremely happy with it. Thanks for the design!

I have always wanted to hear how. the WIBAQ ( 8 inch) sounds. Space and WAF is the restricting factor for me. I just thought of an idea of using Two Tabaq boxes side by side, with two 4 inch fullrange, wired in series or parallel depending on the impedance availability. In this way, can I get a bigger SPL, with more power handling? The main advantage is the new box will still look like. a compact bookshelf, but got all the properties of a WIBAQ. Am I thinking right?

I just did a rough test by stacking side by side two tabaq ( one MDF, one foam core) , just kept as close as possible.To me, I perceive more bass , and If this works, and the principle is correct, I would like to build a new MDF cabinet, scaled for two drivers.

Thanks in advance

If you double the drivers, you will need to double the CSA, but keep the same line height.
The vent would need to be adjusted as well.

You will get better power handling, and a bit more spl, but you will not get lower bass.

Also, two 4" drivers do not equate to one 8" driver.

For example, the surface cone area (Sd) of the RS100 4" driver is 35.3cm2. Double that for two drivers, we get 70.6cm2

The surface cone area of the RS225 8" woofer is 213.8cm2.

As you can see, in this case, 4+4 does not equal 8.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You can do a 4 driver in bipolar config. Wired in series parallel you get 6dB more sensitivity assuming 8ohm nominal. Have two drivers face forward and two face backwards and there is zero baffle step loss. This buys another 6dB of bass amplitude but that may sound like more extension. So that’s about 12dB more than single driver below 1kHz, 6dB more overall.

The box is 4x CSA though - still manageable. Use four vents of same length.

Ryanj made something like this based on my design once. I think it worked out well - people thought there was a helper subwoofer going on.
Tangband W3-881 MLTL build

343805d1366493801-tangband-w3-881-mltl-build-tangband-w3-881-mltl-build-019-jpg

343803d1366493359-tangband-w3-881-mltl-build-tangband-w3-881-mltl-build-015-jpg

Last edited: