TABAQ TL for Tangband

Ok just a Quick First impressions, just put the drivers in to give it a listen. Wow they sound good, very punchy, tons of bass (no bsc but 15cm or so from back wall). I need to spend some time with them, but I’m only looking forward to that now :)

Rs100-8, driver mounted 210 mm from top, 72g stuffing each.

Crappy photo:
attachment.php

Thanks Bjørn for sharing this design, it’s a definite winner!

Attachments

• E1B36231-4985-4588-BD3A-66E31F6DD006.jpg
    E1B36231-4985-4588-BD3A-66E31F6DD006.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 1,124
Slow but now is time....

Mid January I was asking about the FaitalPRO 4FE32 (I know I'm slow). The time has come to get to work on building. Well within a week or so.

I have looked to see what others have done regarding enclosure size, placement of driver, length of opening and stuffing. I found PDF files regarding different 4" drivers which gave me some direction. Found the PDF of the change robskillz made to the plans with diagram (see detail attached image) from PDF. Is this even close to what I should consider using for this FaitalPRO driver?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 11.32.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 11.32.27 AM.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 797
Bjorn your right, its not the prettiest driver around kinda ugly for sure, but i am hoping to mount from the back of the baffle and round edge on the front. I might have to go 21mm baltic birch though in case i need to knotch the sides out a bit for the tabs to fit. I think it is worth the try. I am using now the TB 315E which sound great on my system with a sub. I am hoping these will perform as well but a bit more bottom. Thanks for the bit of reassurance though.

Bjorn your right, its not the prettiest driver around kinda ugly for sure, but i am hoping to mount from the back of the baffle and round edge on the front. I might have to go 21mm baltic birch though in case i need to knotch the sides out a bit for the tabs to fit. I think it is worth the try. I am using now the TB 315E which sound great on my system with a sub. I am hoping these will perform as well but a bit more bottom. Thanks for the bit of reassurance though.

You could go super-baffle. Mount a (an artistic) ring on the front of the speaker then mount the ring on the baffle. The fixings for the driver can be wider than 10cm without chipping away at the sides of the box. 4FE32 on PE website is modelled as having F3 of 77 through 59Hz for the 4 - 16ohm variants resp. the 8 ohm sitting in the middle. You'll probably get more bass balance off them but not deeper extension IMO.

J.

Yes Jerms I thought of that as well. Some nice purple heart or other exotic might do the trick. but I will test first the sound and get it to my liking before doing the pretty stuff!
I will toss it around in my head as to which way I would like to attempt. The deep extension isn't important to me as I use a sub with my TABAQs but like you say a bit more bass balance would be nice. Mostly trying these because the 315E's are no longer available through PE, and it's just fun to experiment. I will post my build once I get things underway.

Hello fellow DIY Comunity,
Has anybody tried the TABAQ Large with the TB W5-2106 yet?
Parameters are verry similar as with the w5-1611 saf, though the qts is around 0.5.
How is that going to effect the stuffing density?
Any ideas how to cunstruct the circuit to balance out the frequency response?
And is it possible to mount the speakers a little bit higher, as in the other designs ?

Thanks, Phenix

Phoenix, you're kinda new around here, but there's a wonderful function in this forum, on the top right of the window, called Search.

If you input the driver into the search box, you will get two posts that mention successful use of the w5-2106.

Regarding the BSC circuit, it will be according to your taste. You may or may not need it.
Same goes with stuffing, but I would follow the design suggestions first.

Also, changing the driver position will alter the design and the output. It is placed exactly there to have the best output possible.

If you want the driver higher, there are other designs out there, like the Pensils, that might match your visual criteria better.

Phoenix, you're kinda new around here, but there's a wonderful function in this forum, on the top right of the window, called Search.

If you input the driver into the search box, you will get two posts that mention successful use of the w5-2106.

Regarding the BSC circuit, it will be according to your taste. You may or may not need it.
Same goes with stuffing, but I would follow the design suggestions first.

Also, changing the driver position will alter the design and the output. It is placed exactly there to have the best output possible.

If you want the driver higher, there are other designs out there, like the Pensils, that might match your visual criteria better.

...Or build it with a stylish "foot" to raise the whole speaker up a bit and have the port exit through the bottom of the enclosure and then the foot.

Thank you, perceval and Jerms. I have seen those posts, but they do not go into a lot of detail. I actually was not able to find any information regarding a BSC for the TABAQ Large in this Thread and even though it comes down to preference in the end, knowing what has worked for others might help. Maybe start with suggestions for the normal Tabaq and a W4? The same goes for stuffing, since I could not quite understand which factors play the biggest role here?
Something like, higher qts=less stuffing?

It's usually low qts drivers that require less stuffing. Stuffing is used to suppress harmonics, and lower the Q (a gentler frequency slope, but at the expense of lower amplitude) of the enclosure. With a low qts driver you already don't enough of a bass lift, stuffing it more will just kill off any bass the enclosure is supposed to contribute.

High qts drivers will usually produce a peaky bass response which results in a boomy sound. Stuffing can suppress the boominess (lowering the Q).

After it's been built stuff it with the recommended weight, and either reduce it to get more bass, or add more if you feel that you have too much. I have my TABAQ large (with a W5-1611) with a little less stuffing than recommended. Gives it a silly bit of extra boom just for fun, it's not used for Hi-fi. And, I don't use BSC. When I re-built them I recessed the terminals so they can get as close to the wall as possible. Also because my mum doesn't like them sticking out into the room one bit.

Last edited:
Finally have found time to at least move forward on my new TABAQ build with my FatialPROS 8ohm. Burning in now for a bit. I’m thinking these are going to sound gooood in the TABAQ, better then my others with TB 315e. I can tell the highs and kids are clearer, and a bit more breadth in the base, with the sub build going with these I’m going to be having a big smile once done. And this is with them in my PVC tube burn in setup. Once I get building with FP mounted behind the baffle (less ugly). I will post a few images of that. I’m slow though....

my little TABAQs

Finally managed to finish a pair of my own. Colors picked by my two sons, must admit they look awesome like this. I wanted to make them white, but i'm glad two of them made me change my mind. :)
No need to say that they sound absolutely beautifully, you all know that already. I made them without BSC, since they will ultimately go close to back wall and corners in a house that is currently under adaptation.
Thanks for this awesome plan and idea, i'm gonna love them for a long time, it seems. :)
P.S. that system behind is not the one that powers them, i'm using Topping TP23 amp, sounds great, btw
Cheers, folks, have fun :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180718_165633.jpg
    IMG_20180718_165633.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 722