Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

TABAQ TL for Tang Band
TABAQ TL for Tang Band
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2020, 11:01 AM   #3041
q77 is offline q77  Norway
diyAudio Member

So, I'm doing some sketching this morning. Thinking about the possibility the build my TABAQ on a baseplate (or foot) for 1) reduce risk of tipping 2) increase the height with maybe an inch or so and 3) create a room for BSC underneath that is fairly easy accessible. But would this change sound? Reduce low end response?
Old 27th June 2020, 04:07 PM   #3042
nas3000 is offline nas3000  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q77 View Post
So, I'm doing some sketching this morning. Thinking about the possibility the build my TABAQ on a baseplate (or foot) for 1) reduce risk of tipping 2) increase the height with maybe an inch or so and 3) create a room for BSC underneath that is fairly easy accessible. But would this change sound? Reduce low end response?

You can do basic experiment: take any speaker, preferably reasonable size, with any type of the vent which is close to the speaker side, and place the speaker on the ground near the wall. Vent has to be close to the ground as in TABAQ, rotate if necessary. Play some music. Now raise speaker higher, 10,20,30cm, or whatever you want by putting speaker on the box, which will simulate your stand. I use kitchen chairs, books and cardboard boxes. Play the same music as before. There should be little bit less bass.

There should be difference, but how much depends on many conditions. Personally think that smth like 5cm in your case will make difference, but not that much to change the overall signature. 30cm will be far different.
Maybe filter built into back plate will work better?
Old 28th June 2020, 01:54 AM   #3043
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Q77,

I doubt you will hear any changes by putting the TABAQ on a 1 inch base.

And look at the commercial offering from Bjorn. The vent is much higher than most TABAQs built around here... and much higher than 1 inch.
Old 28th June 2020, 06:00 AM   #3044
diyAudio Member

As an experiment, I changed the height of my TABAQs.

Now, directly on the floor, I have 2 places the frequencies dip.
One at 200Hz, and one at 400Hz.

I raised the Tabaqs to 15cm. It flattened out the 400Hz dip quite well, but the 200Hz was still there.

I went nuts and raised the enclosure to 50cm. The 400Hz stayed pretty much the same as at 15cm, and it barely moved at 200Hz, so that one is probably room related.

So, made another experiment with the enclosure raised by 15cm, and the mic 50cm above regular listening position.

I got an almost completely flat FR. Cool.

So, you can also experiment if you wish. Raise the TABAQs by 15cm, and put a 50cm platform under your sofa or couch!
Old 28th June 2020, 07:17 AM   #3045
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

'Sounds' like setting on the floor with a solid wedge to tilt it back might be the cure.

GM
Old 28th June 2020, 08:15 AM   #3046
q77 is offline q77  Norway
diyAudio Member

Perceval, cool Thanks!
And no big changes in the lowest end then I presume?

nas3000 Yes I also consider some kind of backplate.

I still need to decide on driver. After that I will start finalise my sketches and post them for input.
Old 28th June 2020, 11:29 AM   #3047
mightym is offline mightym  United States
diyAudio Member

At risk of upsetting the apple cart here...

Turn the vent vertical. It will raise the driver the length of the vent, and allow room for BSC circuit behind the vent.

The vent already has a 90 degree bend, as designed it's at the beginning of the vent. Turning the vent would put the bend at the end of the vent, but resistance shouldn't change appreciably.

???
Old 28th June 2020, 12:39 PM   #3048
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
'Sounds' like setting on the floor with a solid wedge to tilt it back might be the cure.

GM
Things to try tomorrow!

Quote:
And no big changes in the lowest end then I presume?
Yep, no change besides a flatter FR line instead of a peak at tuning, a drop, a rise, a drop, then settling....
Old 30th June 2020, 04:47 AM   #3049
Spea is offline Spea
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spea View Post
That would be great and the best idea. 1st post, updated pdfs
Any news about that? Cant find changed posts.
Old 30th June 2020, 07:42 AM   #3050
nas3000 is offline nas3000  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
As an experiment, I changed the height of my TABAQs.

Now, directly on the floor, I have 2 places the frequencies dip.
One at 200Hz, and one at 400Hz.

I raised the Tabaqs to 15cm. It flattened out the 400Hz dip quite well, but the 200Hz was still there.

I went nuts and raised the enclosure to 50cm. The 400Hz stayed pretty much the same as at 15cm, and it barely moved at 200Hz, so that one is probably room related.

So, made another experiment with the enclosure raised by 15cm, and the mic 50cm above regular listening position.

I got an almost completely flat FR. Cool.

So, you can also experiment if you wish. Raise the TABAQs by 15cm, and put a 50cm platform under your sofa or couch!

How much the sounds of 40-100Hz changed in your listening position? In my room if one of the speakers is in the same place, no matter what the height, most of the bass "travels" to the nearest corner (checked in the head level only) Interestingly in the opposite corner, which is ~0.5m further from the other side speaker there is no bass spike.

TABAQ TL for Tang BandHide this!Advertise here!