TABAQ TL for Tangband

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The iMM6 is for use on your phone. That’s ok for quick idea of what is happening. What you need is a mic that goes into your PC/MAC sound card so you can use REW to make measurements and analyze data. You can also make one if you are handy. Just use Panasonic WM61a mic capsules and preamp circuit available on web. That methods costs $4.

Panasonic Wm-61a Electret Condenser Mic Capsule 20pcs | eBay

Perceval. Ooooh, I’d be there in a moment if I could! Cars, bikes, speakers what else is there in life?
Ha ha, fortunately I guess I have to much on my plate with all 3 here. Your are lucky though to have the VW and Triumph plus the weather. Right now -30 but next week +12, chinooks blowing in soon. :)

Dayton RS100-8 + TC9

See picture for my new experiment with the TC9 on top. Guess what? It turns out pretty nice and I'm happily listening at the moment.
Measurements will be followed.

Attachments

• IMG_20180113_135347.jpg
    IMG_20180113_135347.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 590
Bjørn, if you are listening...

I know we kinda dismissed the W5-2143 earlier, with its low Qts.

I don't have MJK's papers to sim this driver, but I gave a shot with LeonardAudio app and it doesn't look too bad!

So, maybe it could be a good candidate.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    638.8 KB · Views: 796
Bjørn, if you are listening...

I know we kinda dismissed the W5-2143 earlier, with its low Qts.
Actually it's not that simple, because I know of two different measurements and they are not identical to the published specs:
Qts=0.45 - by user XRK871 - Decware DNA Horn
Qts=0.65 - TB SPEAKERS W5-2143 (Full-range 5", 8 Ohm, 60 Wmax) (image located in the lower part)

After playing around with the different data sets I realized it will be a 30-40 liter enclosure tuned in the 46-55 hz interval... maybe a little higher if that Fs is really above 80hz. The reviews report a disappointing bas performance with bas reflex enclosures but no bad word from TL designs, in fact I believe I found a japanese source that reported excessive bas from a TL (note:google translate is not perfect).
I believe tuning higher is the right strategy for this driver, in the sense not to push it as low as possible, the rest is TL magic as you go lower plus the Sd is much larger than a 3 incher or a 4 incher (Sd=92cm2 - measured by me with 1/2 surround minus phaseplug).

Hmm... now, that's some disparity between measurements.

My TB 4" were not that far off... but the Visaton B80 were.

I guess we could take a chance and pick the middle ground which would be X's measurements... until I get myself a pair, if I ever decide on a 5" driver.

Last edited:
Dear all.

I´m still considering the MTM version of TABAQ enclosure. I would like to simulate this option in LeonardAudio app. However, I do not know how to adjust/mulitply W4-1320sj specs in that app.
Could you offer me advise?
Considered X-over frq is 8kHz.

Jan

Martin King has a page or doc somewhere showing how to do this. (Now I can't find it though :( ). Simplistically, the CSA is doubled "everywhere". That includes the port.

Dear all.

I´m still considering the MTM version of TABAQ enclosure. I would like to simulate this option in LeonardAudio app. However, I do not know how to adjust/mulitply W4-1320sj specs in that app.
Could you offer me advise?
Considered X-over frq is 8kHz.

Jan

Like Jerms said, and if you don't want to double the enclosure, you could go with the last TM in a sealed enclosure on top. That would make it a 3-way.