TABAQ TL for Tangband

Nice work !

I have enclosed the sim of your driver, and I am looking forward to your listening experience.

Hi
Bjørn

Bjorn,
Oh.....Man....What a good design you have there. It sounds very promising after the first two hours of heavy classical music and heavy rock. The bass line is so accurate and it sounds very balance over the whole spectrum, low to top. I'll leave it as is for a moment and let them open up after 100 hours.
I tell you I even thought of making the 5" 1611.
Regards
Albert

Attachments

• IMG_20180108_224638.jpg
    IMG_20180108_224638.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 627
Guys,
The speakers have been singing for two days and performing very well in close field listening - about 10ft away. The Rs100-8 can give lots of good and accurate bass and rather good and smooth mids, not lush kind of mids but smooth. Highs are there but weak a bit and I thought I have to add a tweeter so to make the speakers sparkle. I did try to put them 4ft away from the back wall, the highs are better but loss the low ends punch.
Eh... forgot to tell I have them with the 26pre and 6C33C 25w OTL. The SPL of these drivers are power hungry only 84.5db. The 6C33C can give satisfactory sound level in my room ( 17'x32') but the speakers seem keep asking for more. I'll need some more power. Or..........
I really love this design and have a thinking if I could do something to bring the SPL up to around 90db. I know if I parallel 2 speakers in a box and I easily have it up to 90db in 4 ohm load and my 6C33C can drive down to 2 ohm so there is no problem. Since I have a pair TC9FD-18-08. I wonder if I could pair them with the RS100 in a bigger box. Is it workable?
Ideas would be appreciated.
Albert

So been looking for driver options, for another TABAQ build with a four inch. Wanting to spread out from al TBs, and try something different. I found these at Madison and am wondering if they might work? The QTS, looks ok at near 100. The driver is Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08 4" Full Range.

Link is Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08 4" Full Range

Nope... you need a Qts of about 0.5 to work well in a TABAQ. amongst other parameters.

So, if you want to stick to ScanSpeak and the same price range, this one would fit better:

Scanspeak Discovery 10F/8414G-10 4" Full Range

Guys,
The speakers have been singing for two days and performing very well in close field listening - about 10ft away. The Rs100-8 can give lots of good and accurate bass and rather good and smooth mids, not lush kind of mids but smooth. Highs are there but weak a bit and I thought I have to add a tweeter so to make the speakers sparkle. I did try to put them 4ft away from the back wall, the highs are better but loss the low ends punch.
Eh... forgot to tell I have them with the 26pre and 6C33C 25w OTL. The SPL of these drivers are power hungry only 84.5db. The 6C33C can give satisfactory sound level in my room ( 17'x32') but the speakers seem keep asking for more. I'll need some more power. Or..........
I really love this design and have a thinking if I could do something to bring the SPL up to around 90db. I know if I parallel 2 speakers in a box and I easily have it up to 90db in 4 ohm load and my 6C33C can drive down to 2 ohm so there is no problem. Since I have a pair TC9FD-18-08. I wonder if I could pair them with the RS100 in a bigger box. Is it workable?
Ideas would be appreciated.
Albert

Logistical nightmare trying to fit two TC9, with a RS100, all running full range in the same box?

How about keeping it simple?

Swap the RS100 with the FaitalPro 3fe22. Should have almost the same amount of bass, higher extension in frequencies, and higher output, with the 3fe22 rated at 91dB. Should be a nice upgrade to the RS100, and use that driver in another small desktop build, or something similar.

If you are looking for serious output in a small factor, check out the mini-karlsonator thread, using dual FaitalPro drivers, which is a whooping 97dB !

Logistical nightmare trying to fit two TC9, with a RS100, all running full range in the same box?

How about keeping it simple?

Swap the RS100 with the FaitalPro 3fe22. Should have almost the same amount of bass, higher extension in frequencies, and higher output, with the 3fe22 rated at 91dB. Should be a nice upgrade to the RS100, and use that driver in another small desktop build, or something similar.

If you are looking for serious output in a small factor, check out the mini-karlsonator thread, using dual FaitalPro drivers, which is a whooping 97dB !

Good quote. Thanks. Will think about it.
Correction: I just want to put one each TC9 and RS100 in a box, so two drives parallel to give 90db.

Looks pretty much the same as the 3FE22. ;)

You could mount it behind the baffle. That would hide the mounting tabs.

I wouldn't mount the TC9 and the RS100 sharing the same box. They have different specs, and different tones. I'm afraid you would just get garbled sound. I wouldn't want to be the one to sim this combination.

But... this is DIY. So, if you feel you need to try, go ahead. If it works, great, if it doesn't, you will have learned something new! :)

4Fe32 4” looks like a good option for me Perceval. I have no issues with mounting behind baffle. Carpentry not an issue with me, using this driver could look amazing with some patience and design implementation. Also I’ve wanted to try to mount behind the baffle with the TABAQ design see if it changes any sound dynamics. Simple and amazing sound results is the beauty of the TABAQ design. DYI means we like to experiment though, so if one’s experiment doesn’t work, one moves on till you find something that does. Using the app AudioTools it show’s me with my setup that the 315e’s and sub are well into 80db.

GraphicCanuk;5306263 Simple and amazing sound results is the beauty of the TABAQ design. [/QUOTE said:
And for that, a huge thanks to Bjørn for sharing his design.

:cheers:

I would love to build a TABAQ with the 4FE32, but for me, they have to come from Italy, and the shipping is insanely high from there.

If you do build them, I'd love to read some impressions from you, and if possible, some measurements.

And in the mean time, you seem to have a pretty sweet setup anyway!

Perceval I am committed to trying the 4FE32, already in my stored shopping cart at PE. I add stuff to it over a period of time. Do this to save on duty and shipping costs. Next month I will probably place the order. I will post when I start the build and try give some sort of accurate account of findings.

With 315E I found I needed to add a BSC of 3.9ohm/1.0mH (Bjorn's suggested BSC). I have no way to calculate what these drivers (4FE32) might need. I compared specs of both drivers and there are similarities, but I know this isn't the best way to decide. If someone could calculate this for that would be great. Or lead me to somewhere on the web where I could do this myself, also great!

Looks pretty much the same as the 3FE22. ;)

You could mount it behind the baffle. That would hide the mounting tabs.

I wouldn't mount the TC9 and the RS100 sharing the same box. They have different specs, and different tones. I'm afraid you would just get garbled sound. I wouldn't want to be the one to sim this combination.

But... this is DIY. So, if you feel you need to try, go ahead. If it works, great, if it doesn't, you will have learned something new! :)

Good advice.
I won't put them together at the moment but would try to replace with the TC9 and see how it sounds like.

Good advice.
I won't put them together at the moment but would try to replace with the TC9 and see how it sounds like.

I tried it.even when I knew how it would do. I just had to. Go ahead, and it will add to your DIY skills.

But the TC9's Qts is too high. You will lose a lot of bass. It still sounds good, but it doesn't have that bass presence the other drivers with a Qts of about 0.5 will have.

With 315E I found I needed to add a BSC of 3.9ohm/1.0mH (Bjorn's suggested BSC). I have no way to calculate what these drivers (4FE32) might need. I compared specs of both drivers and there are similarities, but I know this isn't the best way to decide. If someone could calculate this for that would be great. Or lead me to somewhere on the web where I could do this myself, also great!

The inductor will probably stay the same, you might want to change the resistor to taste.

If you continue indulging yourself in the DIYAudio world, I suggest you invest in a measurement mic. It is a very valuable tool, and it tells you exactly what a speaker is doing, within your own room.

Trying to design and place speakers without one is just shots in the dark.

Umik and others like it are good enough for the amateur hobbyist, and really, a must, should you decide to build more speakers.

I have one measurement mic (photo) not sure if it’s sufficient or not. I’ve used both with my android and iPad using the appropriate apps. But I haven’t used it a lot, need to to understand how to use it best way possible. I will look into the mic you suggest also. I intend to make many speakers, which scares my wife. But she likes the finished products. So much to learn. Thanks for your help and skills, opinions. It helps a lot.

Attachments

• F2499037-CD50-4C7F-B875-F4F8F31C1141.jpg
    F2499037-CD50-4C7F-B875-F4F8F31C1141.jpg
    800.7 KB · Views: 565