Crib Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The wife and I have a baby on the way and as we were looking at different crib toys that played music one of the complaints was that they didn't play long enough. Naturally my first thought was... thats a simple fix, I'll build some speakers to work into the crib find a little amp and viola. My wife is very anti anything audio that cost money so the key elimate here is cheap. I don't want super crappy, but it is just a baby so the quality doesn't have to be great. I'll likely want to get carried away. I think it would be fun to use pvc pipes that wrap around something (I've seen a simular design but it's too expensive) but have no clue if theres any full range speakers that would work in pvc pipe. feel free to make other suggestions. The key here is to have fun and be creative. It gives me an excuse to play.

This is an interesting project, though a bit different. However, we need to take advantage of our every opportunity.

I'm going to assume the crib is in it's own room. I'd get a cheap little T-amp, build some small speaks that could either hang in corners or tall skinny speaks and go! Could just use an iPod, etc. for the source.

The small Fostex are nice, as are Jordans, maybe small hemps, etc. I think you can get away with more here with the T-amp as I'd assume you'll be using very low volumes. I'd think most any smaller driver would work, and at the low volumes, massive bass isn't an issue, as there won't be much anyway.

Just some initial thoughts.

I'm thinking of going with the TB 3" and a T amp. It's a touch more then my super cheap expectations, but that isn't a problem with me. It could be a problem with the wife, but we'll see how that turns out. Now I just need to get creative with the enclosure. I'm still open for other suggestions of course. Thanks for the help so far guys.

The 193 is good. I use mine as rear speakers in a small surround setup, and they're ok... but could use a tweeter.

I hate to be a party pooper, but the T-amp is $30, the speakers are about $28 each, and enclosure materials aren't free. I know the point of this forum is DIY, but you should be aware that you can get some 2.1 computer speakers for under $100 that are extremely nice, with everything built in.

I do believe that babies like bass. Just be careful not to play too loud.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
NS3-193-8A.jpg

available in silver

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=2243295.13930&pid=2162

or black

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=2243295.13930&pid=2163

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you add Zaph's filter the HiVi end up at about the same price as the Aura. The NS-4 trades bass-response for efficiency and is really a mid-tweeter.

If budget is a concern, get the HiVi... i bet much of the issue that requires the filter can be puzzlecoated away (and a mechanical fix is preferrable to an electrical one (IMO) any day). If you find you can't live without the filter it can always be added later.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.