Your favorite horn...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

What is the your favorite horn that you have heard? I don't neccesarily mean something in the lowther price range, but maybe something with more affordable fostex driver. I have heard good things about the ronhorn A126 with FE108es. Is there anything else I should consider? I would like to build a pair of the horns, but I don't want to build a pair and then feel like I have to upgrade soon. I wan to buid something that I can be happy with for a long, long time.

Plese give me some suggestions.

Cheers,
Rafal

Of the ones I've heard so far, these horns with the black bezel at Dave's were phenomenal :)

Attachments

• daves_horns.jpg
    daves_horns.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 607
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ronc said:
I never designed the A126 to be used with the Fostex 108. To fully realize the potential of the 108 truly takes a different design.

That said, the 108 does work well in the A126 -- Ron suggested reducing CC volume to 1.8 litres.

If you have corners, the Frugel Horn, if you only have walls the A126. Since how low a horn goes is highly dependent on mouth size, you have to go to bigger & bigger horns to get more bass... just using a larger driver won't do (ie the Hedlund probably doesn't go as low as the 2 mentioned)... what you usually get with the larger driver is more efficiency, more cost, and often not as good mid/top.

I am very pleased with modified FE126 in my RonHorns.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
johninCR said:
Since I have concrete corners, couldn't I get exactly the same performance in a drastically smaller form with an appropriate design?

The Frugel-Horn Mk 2? Gotta get V1 into Martin's hands 1st.

I have a hunch, that thou possible by the theory, that a horn using the multiplying factor of a close surface still won't quit reach the same pinnacle as an all-out assault would.

dave

planet10 said:

The Frugel-Horn Mk 2? Gotta get V1 into Martin's hands 1st.

I have a hunch, that thou possible by the theory, that a horn using the multiplying factor of a close surface still won't quit reach the same pinnacle as an all-out assault would.

dave

I was thinking of something made especially for an exact placement in my corners so the corner itself would truly be the final segment with a well planned transition into it. I would think that done correctly the concrete would make a better construction than relatively thin wood.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Rafal said:
Is the BIB a horn or is it a type if a TL?

A little philosiphizing: Martin King's (and to a much lesser extent Augspurger's) tools have revealed to us a large space of what can be loosly called quarter-wave resonators. Within this space there are subspaces which nicely coincide with objects we have clasiically called horns, TLs, Voigt pipes, etc. The tools have opened up a much larger space for us to explore (the tools still don't blanket the entire space -- but i don't think Martin will be satisfied until they do), and over the last 5-6 years people have been exploring this space. Probably one of the biggest developments has seen the classification & understanding of the Mass Loaded designs... not that they weren't being built, i wonder how many designers build a tall-skinny BR and found that its response was not as expected?

The BIB is somewhere in the that space between the areas classically classified as Voigt pipe & Horn.

It is also of interest that this particular design highlited the need to be careful of the results the tool spit out and that the room cannot be taken out of the equation ... and may well have been at least partially responsible for the inclusion of some room effects being including as modeling options in the latst round of MJK sheets.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.