Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your favorite horn...
Your favorite horn...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2006, 07:02 AM   #11
johninCR is offline johninCR  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

The Frugel-Horn Mk 2? Gotta get V1 into Martin's hands 1st.

I have a hunch, that thou possible by the theory, that a horn using the multiplying factor of a close surface still won't quit reach the same pinnacle as an all-out assault would.

dave
I was thinking of something made especially for an exact placement in my corners so the corner itself would truly be the final segment with a well planned transition into it. I would think that done correctly the concrete would make a better construction than relatively thin wood.
Old 30th September 2006, 07:53 AM   #12
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default favorite horns

Hello,
look these:
http://www.hm-moreart.de/70.htm
Old 30th September 2006, 08:17 AM   #13
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As a combination, my Harvey/Spawn horn works pretty well. BIB with FF165K. And my friend Steve's DIY tractrix horns with Lowther EX4s are pretty special when corner loaded & show a lot of potential.
Old 30th September 2006, 05:08 PM   #14
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Klein horns look interesting but they are way too big. I know I mentioned that I don't mind them being big but not That big.

Is the BIB a horn or is it a type if a TL?
Old 30th September 2006, 05:28 PM   #15
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Your favorite horn...
Quote:
Originally posted by Rafal
Is the BIB a horn or is it a type if a TL?
A little philosiphizing: Martin King's (and to a much lesser extent Augspurger's) tools have revealed to us a large space of what can be loosly called quarter-wave resonators. Within this space there are subspaces which nicely coincide with objects we have clasiically called horns, TLs, Voigt pipes, etc. The tools have opened up a much larger space for us to explore (the tools still don't blanket the entire space -- but i don't think Martin will be satisfied until they do), and over the last 5-6 years people have been exploring this space. Probably one of the biggest developments has seen the classification & understanding of the Mass Loaded designs... not that they weren't being built, i wonder how many designers build a tall-skinny BR and found that its response was not as expected?

The BIB is somewhere in the that space between the areas classically classified as Voigt pipe & Horn.

It is also of interest that this particular design highlited the need to be careful of the results the tool spit out and that the room cannot be taken out of the equation ... and may well have been at least partially responsible for the inclusion of some room effects being including as modeling options in the latst round of MJK sheets.

dave
Old 30th September 2006, 08:00 PM   #16
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Agreed. Lots of gray areas. For safety's sake now though, I follow GM's definition: all expanding pipes are effectively horns, so I just use that!
Old 30th September 2006, 08:49 PM   #17
johninCR is offline johninCR  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Agreed. Lots of gray areas. For safety's sake now though, I follow GM's definition: all expanding pipes are effectively horns, so I just use that!
YeeHaa, that means my OB-RLH is a horn after all.

Your favorite horn...Hide this!Advertise here!