Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exciting project for  CSS FR125s
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2006, 02:31 AM   #21
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Need Small Sub

Quote:
Originally posted by audioferret
22 Liters Sealed or Ported?
ported. but i should see what it looks like sealed.

dave
Old 5th October 2006, 04:20 AM   #22
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sealed, -3dB @ 63.5Hz in 9.4l box.
Vented, -3dB @ 39Hz in 17.5l box!

Jeff
Old 5th October 2006, 06:58 AM   #23
Geek is offline Geek
diyAudio Member

Yup, sounds about right.

Super bass in that size box, just watch your power below 100hz.
Old 5th October 2006, 07:27 AM   #24
coby is offline coby  United States
diyAudio Member

Audioferret...

Say...you live in Louisville? I'm up in Loveland and I'd love to hear your FR's.....any chance of doing so?

I'm interested in doing something with FR's for music/ht (7 channel). SPL is a concern; I'm wondering if anyone's done a line array with the FR's and what issues they ran into/how well they worked. anyone?
Old 5th October 2006, 07:35 AM   #25
Ray Collins is offline Ray Collins  United States
diyAudio Member

I also am interested in a line array using FR's...... primarily for HT.
Old 5th October 2006, 08:00 AM   #26
Bas Horneman is offline Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
SPL is a concern;
And so it should be. It all depends how big your room is. Because the FR's don't deliver copious amounts of spl. However, I also am going to use them for ht. And am sure they'll deliver enough spl for my needs. (Dutch house...ie. can't play too loud)

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone's done a line array with the FR's and what issues they ran into/how well they worked. anyone?
Brian Cherry of diyhifisupply has tried a 9 driver (Jordan) per side full range array. There are combing and other issues...but they are not too bad apparently..I'll see If I can find a link to that thread.
Old 5th October 2006, 08:48 AM   #27
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The 2 (major) issues with using FR drivers in an array are: 1) comb-filtering, and 2), a severe attenuation of the highs. These are dependant upon the centre-to centre spacing of the drivers, which to avoid this need to be no more than 1 wavelength of the highest frequency to be reproduced apart, & preferably less. Jim Griffin illustrates this in his Nearfield Line Array white paper, which is still the best resource available on the subject of arrays in the home at least.

There's two ways you can work around these problems (to an extent). Firstly, you cold build a concave, focused array, but in so doing, you throw away 90% of the benefits of a nearfield line array in the first place, which would seem a pity. Alternatively, you can use massive Eq to boost the high end (and also the low end, should you feel in the mood to, which will likely allow you to avoid the necessity of a subwoofer -after all, if you use a couple of dozen smallish drivers, there's a heck of a total cone area there, and plenty of power handling & excursion capability.) The comb-filtering will still be there, so there might be some phase problems, but unless you're moving about the room, when listening to a constantly varying source (i.e. music) you might not notice as it will be out of our most sensitive hearing region -Jim told me a while back that an Eq'd line would be his favoured method if FR drivers are insisted upon.

FWIW, Roger Russell, who, as ex head of speaker design for McIntosh, is nobody's fool, has done just this with his frighteningly expensive ($18,900!) IDS array, though I suspect it would be quite possible to match or beat this for about 1/10 the price, given that the Vifa drivers RR appears to be using aren't exactly ideal for this application.

Best
Scott
Old 5th October 2006, 04:08 PM   #28
audioferret is offline audioferret  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Need Small Sub

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
ported. but i should see what it looks like sealed. dave
Dave, Sounds Cool. Let us know when those excess drivers are available. Is the Cerwin Vega 75W Plate amp ample Power, what amp will work best in this application?

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
Yup, sounds about right. Super bass in that size box, just watch your power below 100hz.
Geek, how do you mean? What would you do?

Quote:
Originally posted by coby
Audioferret...

Say...you live in Louisville? I'm up in Loveland and I'd love to hear your FR's.....any chance of doing so?
Let me know...I am going to be in working on my other speakers most of this weekend.
Old 5th October 2006, 08:58 PM   #29
Geek is offline Geek
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Need Small Sub

Hi Audioferret,

Quote:
Originally posted by audioferret
Geek, how do you mean? What would you do?
I'd do the same thing, just watch my power levels. Below 100Hz, their power handling trades for excursion and below Fs, they will "fart" at around 6-8 watts.

I have my of FR's in 17.5l BR boxes. For a small room driven by a small *cough*SET*cough* amp, they are GREAT bang for the buck!
Old 6th October 2006, 03:46 AM   #30
maxro is offline maxro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Need Small Sub

Quote:
Originally posted by Bas Horneman
Brian Cherry of diyhifisupply has tried a 9 driver (Jordan) per side full range array. There are combing and other issues...but they are not too bad apparently..I'll see If I can find a link to that thread.
I should hope that they aren't too bad, considering the cost of 18 Jordan drivers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
Below 100Hz, their power handling trades for excursion and below Fs, they will "fart" at around 6-8 watts.
I have yet to cause mine to fart. They do have socks in their ports and perhaps that corrects any flatulent tendencies.

Max

Exciting project for  CSS FR125sHide this!Advertise here!