Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exciting project for  CSS FR125s
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2006, 08:48 PM   #11
Jim Griffin is offline Jim Griffin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
None of the ML-TLs i've heard for these -- including my own -- were completely satisfactory. I'd like to hear them in the GM bipole sometime -- just take the Griffin bipole and double the xSection (or just put one driver in Jim's box).
Dave,

We have been down this road before. After a lot of simulations with Martin King's MLTL spread sheet, the conclusion that I reached was that GM's original MLTL parameters will not be optimum if one assumed that they were for a single driver in the box. The design in the link below is correct for two drivers in the box which is the bipolar design. I have verified this design via measurements and it is spot on to the MJK spread sheet MLTL simulations for the equivalent of two drivers in the box. Furthermore, others have heard and built this bipolar design and have been favorably impressed as I pointed out in my earlier post in this thread. Thus I have full confidence in the design that is in the link for the dual drivers in the box bipolar design.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone place just a single driver in the box that I describe in the link. If you want to hear a decent bipolar MLTL, then build or arrange to hear the design in the link.

Jim

The CSS FR125S/WR125S Bipolar MLTL Design That Works
Old 27th September 2006, 09:02 PM   #12
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Jim,

ML-TLs are incredibly volume tolerant (for instance 1 FE127 works fine in the ML-TL designed to be a bipole). GM's original design as developed using his methodology is 1 driver in a box similar to yours. That yours works well is a testament to the tolerance of ML-TLs. It is still a point of interest to see how this driver works in GM's box... he has a pretty good track record delivering designs that exceed expectation. I'm still on a quest for the FR125 that delivers what it does and comes close to the midrange magic of a Fostex.

dave
Old 28th September 2006, 04:16 AM   #13
maxro is offline maxro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
I'm still on a quest for the FR125 that delivers what it does and comes close to the midrange magic of a Fostex.

dave
What would the issues encountered be in a bipole MLTL using a FR125 on the rear and a Fostex of some sort (Fe127?) on the front? I suppose there would be a few problems with mismatched efficiency, Q, and Fs. Are there any Fostex that fit the same cutout that could be tried?

max
Old 28th September 2006, 04:52 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by maxro

What would the issues encountered be in a bipole MLTL using a FR125 on the rear and a Fostex of some sort (Fe127?) on the front? I suppose there would be a few problems with mismatched efficiency, Q, and Fs. Are there any Fostex that fit the same cutout that could be tried?

max

That would be a hard match... i have thot about using WR125 in the deflector of the Frugel-horn as a woofer.

dave
Old 28th September 2006, 04:58 AM   #15
Geek is offline Geek
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...i have thot about using WR125 in the deflector of the Frugel-horn as a woofer.
*That* would be a super idea!
Old 28th September 2006, 05:47 AM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

even better, the Extremis for those enamoured of the XBL motor.

It's not hard to be impressed by the performance/size ratio of the XBL designs, but until Hoffman is repealed ( I understand GWB has his staff working on that as we speak, and thanks to domestic security measures, they know that we are) the sensitivity issues make system integration trickier for those systems using high efficiency main speaks and low powered tube amps. No matter how clean the crossover function, you're likely to have disparate signatures in the final power stages.
Old 28th September 2006, 06:04 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The WRs were considered because the volume of the deflectors is not that large,,, but with a slighly deeper deflector an extremis would fit (22 liters required)

We do have some more extremis woofers coming up... and these we'll be able to hang onto for a bit to give them a really good eval.

dave
Old 2nd October 2006, 07:33 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The off-topic Fostex posts have been split-off to their own thread....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=87558

dave
Old 3rd October 2006, 01:01 AM   #19
eVITAERC is offline eVITAERC  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just because I've shown that it could be done and sound great...

A 3D-Spiral Horn
Old 5th October 2006, 02:16 AM   #20
audioferret is offline audioferret  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need Small Sub

Quote:
The WRs were considered because the volume of the deflectors is not that large,,, but with a slighly deeper deflector an extremis would fit (22 liters required)
22 Liters Sealed or Ported?

I am looking for a project using the Extremis driver. I just finished a pair of ported FR125 bookshelves (totally awesome) and want to add a sub....

I am thinking of using a TL design and making it look somewhat like an organ pipe.

-Thoughts?

Exciting project for  CSS FR125sHide this!Advertise here!