ML-TL or ML-TQWT with very low Qt driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think of making a TL of some sort for a driver with a very low Qt (0.14), what type of design suits best for this?

Attachments

• thiel_ts.jpg
    thiel_ts.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 460
Bigger is better.

Unfortunately, as GM so often points out, no free lunches in audio. I can do a set of dimensions for a resonant MLTL or ML TQWT for you, but you'll need a wad of series resistance or active Eq to bring it into line or the response is going to rocket (and that's not including BSC). Whether that's important to you or not will depend on the rest of your system, and your room -in a large room, dynamics will start to suffer a bit. I love ML TQWTs and MLTLs -I've build loads of the things, some of which are among the best speakers I've heard. But you're always better off, IMO, choose the right sort of enclosure for the job, rather than to force things. As a general rule, I try to set myself a 0.20 Qt limit these days -lower than that, and though you can still use it, it will usually be better off in a horn.

Scottmoose said:
Bigger is better.

Unfortunately, as GM so often points out, no free lunches in audio......
not looking for that, just a decent performance in a neat floorstander with good WAF; I'll fire up a sub for decent bass.

as monitor this driver performs well in a 8 liter BR, so suppose I give it 20liters in a floorstanding TL? f3=50? it's only a 7", no miracles expeced nor required.

tomtt said:
might note that, the lower the qt, the lower the distortion
```````````````````````````````````````````````

eye candy-

http://img61.imageshack.us/my.php?image=altecva2.jpg

Nice eye candy :)

Is it proven that lower Qt is lower distortion? Or just a guideline correlated to effective motor coupling?

Don't get me wrong, I tend to prefer low-q drivers, but can you quantify your statement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.