Holey basket Coral's.....?

Jand,

These are my just my bedroom speakers. The Coral's were found at the local thrift shop.

I actually chose them (sold under the Monarch name) over the Foster 10F3 (precursor to the Foxtex F103) because of it's vocal qualities. Both drivers had the planet10 treatment.

Where in Washington are you and when you are coming north of the border? There's always a welcome mat out for the travelers. :)

Old thread...loving the coral holey basket

Reviving a VERY old thread here I know, but just wanted to say that these little Coral "holey basket" drivers are superb. I've run them against a lot of bigger, and far more expensive drivers (lowther, supravox, altec 755, visaton, etc.) in an antique open baffle cabinet, and these are the drivers that live there for good now. Several years now in our living room system and NO ONE who hears them can believe the magic coming out of these little things. Its unreal. I own 3 pairs now...just in case. For what it worth...

Another revival

Found this thread a year or so back when I was trying to figure out what to do with a pair of bull nose cab large Advents. Loved the bass, hated those orange things.

Pulled the orange things and the crossovers, refoamed the woofers. Made sub baffles for a pair of holey Corals. Cobbled together a 2-way active crossover. Been in love with these speakers ever since. Darn things actually still surprise me sometimes at how good they sound.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Thoseare closely related to the Coral Holey Basket, but that is not the right basket. It is called the Coral Holey Basket because the basket has holes in it.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• coral-sony103A.jpg
    coral-sony103A.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 605
I have a couple of sets of Coral's and plan to run them in a rear loaded conical horn designed for the FE 108ESigma.

The 108 sounds great in this horn cabinet with a baffle step so am looking forward to it .

The Sony Tamradio transformers will work well with a bunch of 6005 I have .
1.7 watts triode , 4.5 watts max Pentode single ended

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 8.31.39 AM.png

After a closer look at the Frugel-Horn Mk3 , the image here is pretty similar inside with a single turn at the base then venting at the rear on top , was originally designed for the Fostex FE108EZ and altered for the FE103En , suits the Corel Holey Basket .

Very effective and easier to construct than a complex multi turn rear loaded horn design .

In effect if you were to unfold the bottom turn and construct it in a linear line you would have a conical horn .

Last edited:
For a second system am going to try using the Corel Holey Basket in a Solo 103 cabinet .
The Sony Tamradio Nickel Transformers are in an SE EL84 amplifier with a 6J5 driver tube.
This system should be up and running in a few weeks.
So have recycled the Corel FE103A 4 inch speakers and the transformers into a complete system with recycled parts including EZ81 and EL84's
Went to Mouser for IC Film power supply caps ,Dale WW and Yageo Carbon resistors .
The Amp will have the RH80 LM317 CCS on the El84 cathode and 22v Zenner Diode for the control grid .
All up a pretty good system for under $700

Power Supply Film Caps Used

Wima Mouser Part Number 505-DCP4-45/600/10L 45uF/600v

Mouser Part Number PHC 598-206PHC400K 20uf/400v

The PHC series Typical 4.7 ESR(mΩ) 100kHz +25C Typical Life Expectancy >100000 hrs with VDC MTBF
Parts List https://au.mouser.com/datasheet/2/88/PHC_series-553004.pdf

These capacitors typically outperform nearly all the Audiophile stuff sold on various Audiophile Supply Sites for power supplies .

The Dale Wire Wound at Mouser are RS or NS series if you want non inductive .
They also sell KOA Speer Carbon Film Resistors