The Metronome

Scottmoose and Planet10:

Thanks to Nelson Pass, I lucked out and scored the single pair of Moth drivers given away at the Burning Amp Festival. Do you think they are good candidates for the Metronome enclosure? I think the design would look nice in my smallish living room. Thanks!

Vincent

WBS said:

How dare you sir? :D

Not an ideal match, but you could always have the first pair of aperiodic metronomes. 60in tall, So= 4in x 3.5in, Sl=11in x 14in. Drill a 7/8in hole in the bottom and stuff with reticulated foam.

Attachments

• m fr.gif
    m fr.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,072
Scottmoose said:

How dare you sir? :D

Not an ideal match, but you could always have the first pair of aperiodic metronomes. 60in tall, So= 4in x 3.5in, Sl=11in x 14in. Drill a 7/8in hole in the bottom and stuff with reticulated foam.

Thanks for the feedback Scottmoose.

Since my woodworking skills and tools are limited, I might just try to find the dimensions of the Cicada box and build it using the notch filter plans Nelson offered.

I think I'll start practicing my skills using some Pioneer BUFUs to see how they sound. I much prefer the looks of the metronomes to a rectangular box!

WBS said:

Thanks for the feedback Scottmoose.

Since my woodworking skills and tools are limited, I might just try to find the dimensions of the Cicada box and build it using the notch filter plans Nelson offered.

I think I'll start practicing my skills using some Pioneer BUFUs to see how they sound. I much prefer the looks of the metronomes to a rectangular box!

Interesting.. I wonder if the Pioneer BUFUs could be implemented in a Metronome design. Although, I'm still impressed with LousyMusician's 8FR Hemp Metronome from The Burning Amp Festival. The drivers aren't cheap, but the sound is very rich.

Interesting idea, Rich!

Rich,
I like your idea, and if Scott says the same dimensions for the Metronome box would hold for the Pioneer's as the Hemp Tones, one could switch out the Pioneer's if one liked what they heard.

But would it be the same box??? Like I said, Rich. Good question.
Scott???

Lyndon

I am a newbie around here and read through this entire thread yesterday, and think it's all very interesting.

Has anybody ever built a Metronome for the F120A, or would it be substantially the same as the FE-127 version?

I recently acquired a new pair of these unobtanium drivers and am looking for a really good enclosure to take maximum advantage of them. I'm also considering Mileva and Fonken, if they can be made so that the drivers with their large alnico magnets fit.

Scott, can I trouble you to run the numbers for me? Do you need a listing of the driver parameters?

Thanks,

Jim

F120a Metronome.

48in tall. So=2in x 1in, Sl=9in x 6in. Zdriver 24in. Vent 2in diameter, 2.5in long.

I like the look of the 120a. I've only heard it's big brother once(please Uncle Fostex: will you make an F160a? And while you're at it, an FX160, and put the FX200 back into production too) & I came away thinking I'd probably do anything up to and including robbing a bank so that I could own a pair. I feel the same way every time I hear a pair of FE208ESigmas, but as I'll shortly have those (heh heh heh... mine, all mine...:devilr:) , I'm at less risk of an unfortuate encounter with the gentlemen of our police 'service.'

Attachments

• f120a metronome.gif
    f120a metronome.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 968
Scott,

Thank you! I may have to use a small superbaffle to fit the driver in the cabinet, but otherwise, the mental image "looks" good. One of the other speakers on my to-build list is a pair of zigmahornets (already have the Merrill drivers) and the idea of having the Metronomes and Zigma's standing in the room together sounds cool. 8)

I was told that the reason for discontinuing the F120as (along with the remainder of the "
A" series) is the cost of alnico -- both the raw material and machining costs.) It looks like the FX-120s may also be in danger of going out of production, or going into extremely limited production (even less than now), so as soon as another batch of those come in, I'll be grabbing them.

Those 208s are going to be very nice. Have you heard any of the E-SR series? Again, more unobtanium.

Thanks again,

Jim

P.S. -- My buddy Rich is building a design of yours, or your modification of another design for his new Feastrex D5e's, and I am eager to hear what he has to say about that when he gets it tweaked and the driver run in.

Quick check before ordering wood

Hi I have just ordered a pair of hemp fr8c`s and wondered if i could just check are people using the dimensions from the frugal horn site, or is there a difference in the dimensions when using the newer version driver .

I am very keen to order the wood so any help appreciated.

thanks

Finished my FE127E Metronomes

These are the single driver version, not the bipole. They have a holey brace. The back of the enclosure from 12 inches below the driver up to the top has 1/2 inch acoustic foam. They were covered using the black ash vinyl laminate from parts express.

I'm very impressed with the amount of bass these are putting out. I was using the reference project enclosure before. These definitely are an improvement in the lower octaves. On music that is fairly simple - acoustic guitars, string quartets, vocals - they sound great. On music that is more complex like big band, they get a little congested and boxy. I haven't tried adjusting the stuffing to see if it improves. I'm a little limited on what I can change now since they are all glued up, but I can always add some polyfil.

Attachments

• metronomes.jpg
    metronomes.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,051