Joined 2005
Sorry, a very little change

Attachments

• db horn.png
    db horn.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,847
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Thanks, well lets see....you need driver positioned at listening height about 90cm....if you double that you have total height of 180cm

I guess it will need to be about 50cm wide....and depth between 15-30cm....depends on driver

But actually I like this odd "fellow" fore its simplicity, triangular CC and only two 90 degree bends....and LONG transmission of mouth....but can be a little less wide than shown...maybe 80cm.....and with "frugel-cutout" it could look very sculptural, but may sound better without

But every horn needs to be drawn in full scale to know exactly:xeye:

Attachments

• frugel square.png
    frugel square.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,717
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
GM, you asked for a corner-basshorn, and could not help trying and you are right, I may have seen something similar somewhere, cant remember

Its only a rough drawing of principle - but I would like you to comment on which driver placement is best, version 1 or version 2, thought about that some time ago

Driver I would think be a 10" ?

Attachments

• corner horn.png
    corner horn.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,855
Designed to stimulate the imagination.:D Some people called the single driver version the "sperm".:cool:

The low end below 100Hz did not come out as sooth as the single driver version, I think it probably has something to do with the drivers in parallel. But the high is extended to at least 40KHz by the super tweeter starting at 10KHz revealing more detail and more "air".

I just put this here for fun because the side firing horns posted previously had a similar concept.

Back on the subject of the double horns, they were heard by a couple of guys who frequent the World Designs forum last night, and they liked them. They do get some nice room-gain... using Steve's stunning single ended valves amps (a 1w and a 4w), in his room, we got bottom string bass guitar loud and clear (~41Hz). I think they were a little surprised at the amount of LF we were getting. out of these little drivers.

Ed suggested angling them backward slightly, which cleans the LF regions up a fraction. One thing is confirmed: the don't like side-walls. Keep them in out you get a very large reflection through the bass regions in particular, probably due to the ~cylindrical wavefront. With well damped walls or treatment of course, it could well be better, so as always YMMV.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Would an appropriately sized supra baffle benefit this design like it does for the Frugel Horn? From an aesthetics standpoint it seems it would integrate better into this design because of the symmetry.

It would be relatively easy to experiment with some cardboard cutouts just for kicks.

As scott posted, he brought his speakers around to my house last night..
I was very impressed.. my amps do make good bass..
the result from such a small driver was very impressive..

quite directional, tilting them back improved things..

on a budget these are very good speakers...

... to be honest I was was a little concerned how my lowthers would measure up after listerning to these for an hour or so...

how do they now sound on the rotel scott?

cheers steve

thank you, scott :). i was asking for the upper cut-off frequency.

in the picture below you can see the model response of 6 potential drivers, bwrx. it's from dave. you can find it on the first page of this thread. as you can see, there is a dip roughly between 170hz and 300 hz. i wonder if this has someting to do with the baffle step?

greetings
lilmik

Attachments

• frugelben-in-room-6drivers.gif
    frugelben-in-room-6drivers.gif
    23 KB · Views: 1,508
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
LilMik said:
as you can see, there is a dip roughly between 170hz and 300 hz. i wonder if this has someting to do with the baffle step?

I saw that in the modeled responses and thought exactly that. I figure a supra baffle would help, but that's only a guess. Scott or someone else would probably be able to answer that with more certainty.

Hi Steve, good to see you here!

I prefer not to think about my Rotel, though it does provide stirling service for the background role...

I must reitterate guys -Steve's amps are magical. 70 year old valves, you're looking at a purity you flat can't get from modern types. Stunning, and I'm really greatful for his and Ed's views. Looking forward to Saturday week and hearing the other systems now too! I'll try to put the Loreena McKennitt CD in the box this time round... ;-)

Horn noob question

OK, so I'm now excited on horns, I've given Martin his $25 for the latest versions, and have all kinds of dumb questions...

Scottmoose said:
...Basically, nothing (gets out of the CC) much over 100Hz or so, bar a spike up in the 500Hz regions, which I haven't yet figured how to clobber (assuming it's audible) gets out of this thing.

How do you determine this? Can the CC just be treated as a BR & look at the frequencies passed through the vent?

Scottmoose said:
Hi Steve, good to see you here!

I prefer not to think about my Rotel, though it does provide stirling service for the background role...

I must reitterate guys -Steve's amps are magical. 70 year old valves, you're looking at a purity you flat can't get from modern types. Stunning, and I'm really greatful for his and Ed's views. Looking forward to Saturday week and hearing the other systems now too! I'll try to put the Loreena McKennitt CD in the box this time round... ;-)

With Steve's permission, pray tell us more - or even pictures(?)