Spawn of Frugel-Horn

planet10 said:

I would check to make sure they did not develop any internal leaks suring the curving process.

These should be damped as bass reflexes are -- at least a layer of daming on 3 of the walls, and little or none in the middle.

The 6 & 8" mods are pretty much nailed down. R&D drivers are all in the UK for further independent evaluation. I will be doing up a set of FE166 for Ron & likely a set for Clark.

At the moment the FE167 is the top of the queue of candidates for an expansion of the range, but some ideas for the BOFU popped into my head just last night on those.

dave

I made sure the CC had no leaks. I do have a leak between the back and the right side of the upper vent. I plan to fill it soon.

Pardon my newbie questions, but can you recommend a damping method/material. I have some rubber carpet padding that is about 1/2 inch thick. Would that do?

Thanks again.

thoburnse40 said:

I made sure the CC had no leaks. I do have a leak between the back and the right side of the upper vent. I plan to fill it soon.

Pardon my newbie questions, but can you recommend a damping method/material. I have some rubber carpet padding that is about 1/2 inch thick. Would that do?

Thanks again.

our favorite wall damping material is 1/2" or 3/4" cotton felt (light yellowish color) recycled from vintage BR boxes - followed by gray upholstery felt padding.

closed cell natural rubber or synthetic foams haven't worked as well for us in these applications

Iris photo opt

don9146 said:

Try using Irfanview for manipulating your saved picutres. It is probably the most useful (and easy to use) imaging program outside of Photoshop and costs an infinite amount less (Free!!!). Amazingly enough, you can get it at http://www.irfanview.com/ .

Later,
Don

I loaded Ifranview. Lets see if I am successful this time.

Attachments

• img_0589_small.jpg
    img_0589_small.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 947
chrisb said:

our favorite wall damping material is 1/2" or 3/4" cotton felt (light yellowish color) recycled from vintage BR boxes - followed by gray upholstery felt padding.

closed cell natural rubber or synthetic foams haven't worked as well for us in these applications

Well, I can't believe how hard it is to find cotton felt, even online. Will wool do? My wife, who is a knitter, suggested I buy some old wool sweaters at the thrift store and 'felt' them (very hot water in the washing machine). She says it can then be cut to fit and won't un-ravel. Any thoughts? Anybody have a source for cotton felt in the U.S.?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
thoburnse40 said:
Well, I can't believe how hard it is to find cotton felt, even online. Will wool do? My wife, who is a knitter, suggested I buy some old wool sweaters at the thrift store and 'felt' them (very hot water in the washing machine). She says it can then be cut to fit and won't un-ravel. Any thoughts? Anybody have a source for cotton felt in the U.S.?

Wool felt works fine. aesthetically wool felt is nicer, but cotton felt is easier to work with. We still have a supply of vintage sorced cotton-felt, but that will run out soon and we'll then have to find a source (or move to wool felt -- it i expect is easier to source). What is important is that it is a natural fibre.

the idea of converting dryer lint into diy cotton felt is an intriguing one.

dave

LS3/5a build and size

Its a small box , the LS3/5a, So I guess if I were going to duplicate the build quality, I would need to add extra side panels and tops plus a bunch of internal bracing. The Rodgers are built like the proverbial brick sxxx house.

Then I could drill and countersink the screw holes and add a foam gasket all around.

But until we see the Feastrex numbers from Chris...this box is a good start.

planet10 said:

the idea of converting dryer lint into diy cotton felt is an intriguing one.

dave

Actually, 'felting' is a common knitter's trick. My wife has a knitting store and teaches the technique. I've seen felted slippers, hand bags, animals and such. She has a web site:

http://www.theyarngarden.com/

search for felting.

I am going to buy some old wool sweaters from our local Good Will and give it a try.

Re: Felting a sweater

Phil Townsend said:
My wife (Fiber arts person) says to cut the sweater into big squares then wash them in very hot water.

You might find me lurking in the dark corners of local laundry mats begging for lint.

It's called adaptive reuse.

I've seen them pull the big blanket of lint out of the machines. Kindly put, it's not going to be "all wool". Dog hair and other bits.

I've got an old sweater from about 1975 but I'm still wearing it.