Whizzer cone repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello al,

I have a pair of Fostex 168sigma (old style with whizzer cone). One of the whizzers was damaged, crushed, deformed but not ruptured.

Please recommend on how to repair it.

I have tried to impregnate a piece of paper with cyanoacrylate adhesive. It is easy to apply and it stiffens the paper quite a lot, what do you think about this option?

Any input help?

I recently used a light spray coat of acrylic varnish to stiffen a damaged whizzer cone on a Decca FR driver (another thread soon if my project is sucessful).
The result was to smooth the HF response considerably, but to curtail the maximum HF.
YMMV of course.

Cheers,
I have been succesful with two pack epoxi glue. The standard Araldit from Casco works good. The tricky thing is that you have to dilute it with alcohol to get down the viscosity in order to apply it with a brush.
It takes some 24 hours to dry but you are revarded with a strong yet flexible film that have made wonders with some woofers of mine.
Good luck/Peter

Hi again!
It proved to be difficult to find info about dilutant for Araldit. I have used a Swedish brand that are available in gas stations. However I have found out, by practical experiment, that 1-METHOXIPROPAN-2-OL(ouch) work better than ethanol.
You could also ask for the CAS number (chemical number) 107-98-2, since there excist lot of different suppliers. Dowanol PM is one that I know of.
It seems that a ratio of 1:2 epoxi:thinner is ok.

This thinner is slower than ethanol and therefore easier to apply.
For precaution I have applied it on a paper this morning, and will leave it over night so to see if it dries properly.

BTW Scott, Decent Vodka is better internally, but maybe not at the same time when dealing with precious speakers.:drunk:
Regards Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.