full range mini monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, long time with no posts, seperation divorce etc... its all bad. Any how came across this online and I'm looking to build a set for nearfeild for use on my computer, probably powered by a t-amp or gain clone or maybe my NAD 3020e for the time being. Anyhow here is the link of what I found.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0506/nearfield11.htm

I like the size, they could be a bit bigger if needed. What would be a good candidate for a driver in this size. Also enclosure specs?

dmasson: back on the really long now, BIB thread you or someone else gave a site for enclosure design freeeware but I can no longer find it. I Dw.loaded WINISD beta but many of the drivers especially small ones are not there. I.E. Tang Bands, is there better freeware available? Also my girlfreind is going to Gemany (landing in Munich) in Aug. were could she pick up 5" Monacors for BIB's??

Re: mini monitor

airframe said:
Size looks to big, those at the link (Role Audio Skiff's) use 3.5" FR with a box dimemsion of about 6" x 5" x 3.3" which is what I'm looking for. Cool prodject thought!!!!!!!

Check E-bay: search under "bookshelf speakers"

Some interesting old RatShack single 4"ers in a small box (slightly larger than the Skiff) that might fit the bill. I'm familiar with those RatShack speakers and they were ok as nearfield, but not much in the bass department.

Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...30005359157&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

airframe...winISD

you can add any drivers you want to WinISD alpha..
those are pretty small enclosure on the Skiffs.

check zaph audio for reviews of small drivers, suitable for, small enclosures.. or go big and build a set of "micrographs", a Tannoy Autograph enclosure shrung down to (almost) desktop size (I thing 12" tall..)

Attachments

• sphere1.jpg
    sphere1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,171
Colin, I like the Jxr6s but the cost from markaudio here in Canada is $250.00 CDN a pair, way to steep for me. I'm looking at W3-315d Tang Bands at the moment but waiting for more discussion. Hi Vi has a few as well. I plan on using Apple wood for the complete cabinet so far, we'll see how this stuff is to work with.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: mini monitor

3-LockBox said:
Some interesting old RatShack single 4"ers in a small box (slightly larger than the Skiff) that might fit the bill. I'm familiar with those RatShack speakers and they were ok as nearfield, but not much in the bass department.

Those aren't too bad at all... and can often be had for very little. I've 4 of those sitting on my shelf, as well as some that are slightly larger. There are also the ones with the aluminum baffles, but more often than not the drivers suffer from "stiff surround syndrome" (i'd free up some 8+ pair of these if i could find the cure).

The Aura NS-3 works well in a small sealed box. I have some of the prototypes that Illusus was going to put in production (project got stalled by a major ilfe upset)

dave

Hey airframe. Another speaker you might want to look at, goto ebay and search for logitech z-560. Its a slightly older computer speaker but has a pretty good tangband driver in it. I have bought a couple sets and started building a small box to transplant one into. They sound pretty good by themselves and I imagine a little better in a proper cabinet. I tried 5 of them on my modest 5.1 home theater and was happy with the sound quality but they did lack in the volume producing department. I ended up paying about $12-15 each for them.

Thinking about Fostex lately for my nearfield prodject. This is mainly due to availability in Canada. Yes they are more expensive but the drivers can be put in a number of different cabs later on as well. I was thinking of the Fe83e, FF85k or Fe87e. Now from what I remember from a while ago when my head was more into this it was better to get a driver with a mid Qts (0.47) as in the Fe85k. Why is it that this drivers Qts is in the middle compared to the other two. They are pretty much the same except for construction material. What do you guys think, good candidate for a small nearfield box??

To all other Canadians is there anyone else to buy from other than Solen??

I was reading Zaph's pages a while ago and I think he mentioned about Hi-Vi new U2.5p6 supposedly available at Solen (specs on the site at least). Any info?? WinISD makes a nice tiny box, even vented is small. Remember these are for nearfeild maybe eventually surround sound, so I dont expect that the bass will be earth shatering by any means, just nice.

Thanks Dave, think thats what I'll end up buying. Going to see about Applewood this morning for the cabs (getting excited now). My next prodject will be a set of BIB's (budy of mine is getting married, good wedding gift in a years time) since it sounds like the Fe168 Sig's are the ones to get what would be the second runner up that is easily purchased here in Canada??? Its just such a hassle to get stuff from the US that is produced in other countries (import dutys).
They need to be brough to Ontario so size and his space is a consideration, I'm thinking a 4" or 5" diver here.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
airframe said:
Thanks Dave, think thats what I'll end up buying. Going to see about Applewood this morning for the cabs (getting excited now). My next prodject will be a set of BIB's (budy of mine is getting married, good wedding gift in a years time) since it sounds like the Fe168 Sig's are the ones to get what would be the second runner up that is easily purchased here in Canada??? Its just such a hassle to get stuff from the US that is produced in other countries (import dutys).
They need to be brough to Ontario so size and his space is a consideration, I'm thinking a 4" or 5" diver here.

I haven't been much following the detail of the BIB thread so i'm not sure what 4-5" drivers work well in it (i will get to hear DaveCan's with FE108eS sometime soon, probably at the upcoming fest.

We've been concentrating on the FE127e & FE126e of late (and the 1st batches of modified units are starting to march out the door -- these are competitive with Solen's pricing). And there is always the FR125 -- whether that is choosen is an amp related thing.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.