Post your fullrange auditory hallucinations!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
no this isnt a psychedelica thread... but i was listening to my speakers...actually im listening to them right now(dipole fe166e)...but about 3 minutes ago, i heard the intro of the last track on pink floyds "animals". Now i listen critically with my windows open, because it makes bass smoother. ANYWAY straight to the point, i couldnt distinguish the bird sounds coming from the speakers....from the bird sounds outside.

im sure similar things have happened to other people. put them down here! anything goes, as long as your speaker "tricked" you.

I remember when the Pink Floyd Animals album came out. I'd just bought the album that day, and that evening was playing it for the first time at a poker game in my room (army barracks in Germany). We kept going to the window looking for the dogs barking, and yelling at them to shutup. Eventually we did figure out that they were on the album and marvelled. Pioneer CS99As, Pioneer SX737, Technics SL1200, Shure M91ED... Still have the speakers and turntable, though it's not been used in decades :)

Tom.

I was listening to my new super efficient Lowther Open Baffles Speakers one night and was playing one of my live jazz piano trio recordings at a fairly decent volume. It was my first time playing this particular CD on the new speaker system. It also happened to be right after I got my first new laptop PC. So I was sitting and working on the PC and I kept hearing a faint beeping noise, I assumed something was wrong with the laptop and was trying to debug the problem. It was intermitent and driving me nuts, ruined my listening session. A few nights later I was listening to the same CD and the beeping returned, only this time the PC was off. Turned out to be a cell phone in the audience at the club where the recording was made, I backed up and replayed the track and the beeping was in exactly the same spot in the song.

I own Tannoy 611's mk2, a bit dated nowdays. A few week after I brought them, I wandered back past the dealer, who had them set up in the listening room, with a rather stock NAD CD player, playing remastered Doobie Brother's 'Long Traing Running', and a Plinius SA100 amp, an incredible 100W class A amp, manufactured in NZ.

What that Plinius did to my speakers was my 'moment of revelation' where I got converted to high end Hifi, It had power, depth, clarity, subtley, soundstage exceeding the listenig room, and more. It left me amazed. That was many years ago, and the impact never left me. I've never experienced that effect with my own Tannoy's, but I'm finishing an AlephX-160, and am hoping that Nelson's and Grey's design is up to the challenge.

Cheers, Adrian

I was listening to Cake's "Pressure Chief" and on my system the soundstage on this recording is much wider than the speaker spacing.

The song "No Phones" came on and the ringing phone at the beginning was the same as the ringtone I had on my cell phone which was sitting on a desk a couple feet to the right of the right speaker. I got up and answered the phone! (I changed my ringtone that day. :D )

Back to Pink Floyd Animals, when I was in college I played that one alot and when the dogs barked my own dog at the time"Ruby", who was the sweetest mutt, would bark and growl back at the speakers....everytime. Year 79', system JVC QL-7 TT with Mayware Formula 4 arm, Sonus Blue cart., G.A.S. Thoebe pre, Hafler DH200 and Polk 10 speakers. Today my HT system, all Fostex speakers, on Austin Powers "Gold Member" when Austin is with the Japanese twins and pops the cork on the champange, the cork hits the ground far right of the speaker and my girlfriend tells her son to "go pick that up" and he looks at her like..what? I love when that happens.

I'm not a "Fullrange" guy but, I'm very much enjoying this thread. I think you guys are discussing, to me, what it's all about. The exact re-creation of a sound. Doesn't matter WHAT the sound is.

Every chance a get, I sample any CDs that I can get my hands on, looking for that magic track that re-creats the original performance. So far, it seems most of the best tracks were recorded very early in stereo history.

Thanks for asking Ray. My front mains are FE206E`s in recommended horns, the rears are FE166E`s in recommended BR boxes(driver placed at ear level when standing because they`re back, probably to far, and i can hear them by my pool table) and FE127E`s for front center and rear center in Fostex recommended BR boxes. and a Parts Express 12" sub in a 3cu' sealed box. I use a 6 channel NAD receiver and thought using the rear center would be cool, but I`ll probably eliminate it in the future because it doesn`t do much. My latest idea is to take both FE127E`s and make a dipole double BR box that would be about as wide as my 55" rear projection TV,and sit on top. I`ve been toying with this because I have a few feet between the TV and rear wall and this might be a cool center channel set up. I know using different drivers kinda goes against the grain, for seamless integration, but the system sounds wonderful and I use it for 2 channel listening often. The room is big and it`s where I usually party so this system fills 3 needs, good 2 channel music, big sound for movies and music video`s, and party system. Overall it suits it`s purpose and my non "audiophile" (there`s got to be a better term) friends are always impressed.

I've had one experience that really amazed me.
It happened during a Summer day when I was listening to some Brazilian music when a Thunder Clap startled me. I turned towards the window from where it seemed to have come from (about 100 degrees from where I was sitting) only to see that it was a perfectly clear day with not a cloud in sight. Only then did I realize that it was on the recording. I'd say it doesn't get any more real than that, I know that it made me jump!

The "system" consisted of a downloaded Binaural recording on my computer HD feeding my Aiwa receiver. The Aiwa serves as a dedicated headphone amp for the Sennheiser 580's.
BTW: The Sennheiser's are driven off of the speaker terminals through a precision voltage divider that allows the Transistor amp to work at a higher output (translates in SS speak to lower distortion).

I use the Sennheiser's as my "reference" when designing a speaker, often using the Amp's "B" speaker terminals and switching back and forth between 'phones ("A" terminals) and DUT. This works better that one might think:^)
Best Regards,
TerryO

Not to amazing a story, but here goes.
We live out in the country. Myself and my wife are forever wondering who's pulling up the drive in a tractor or an dumper truck. Its usually some low level rumble on one of my techno/ambient records.

I have "Bigger Is Better" speakers with vintage 10x8 oval Isophon drivers in them, and 7 watts of tube PP class A amplification.

Shoog

In 1986, my girlfriend and me went to see the movie Round Midnight, featuring Dexter Gordon as Bud Powell/himself. The sound system in the cinema was extra-ordinary for a movie theatre, and halfway down the movie i gratefully accepted a hanky from the g/f. I was told all recordings during the shooting of the movie were live. Tall Mr Gordon passed away 4 years later.

That event is 20 years ago in a couple of months from now. I have the movie track by Dexter Gordon on CD. Whenever i play the CD in my room upstairs on a "common" 3-way system i'm never near the danger zone. I've seen the movie a couple of times on a big TV screen, .....no problemo. Every time i take it downstairs and play the CD on full range electrostats i get in the movie mood and i'm in desperate need for kleenex. (what a whimp :clown: )
Quads, not Fostex, but what the H...

I remember listening to the original Alan Parson's Quad mix of Pink Floyd's DSOTM (humiliatingly better than the recent SACD surround mix) using 2 pairs of Martin's ML TQWT design. Scared me half to death -I don't think I've ever heard that kind of image speed before. First time I'd heard the tubular bells properly in the mix too, just over my left shoulder.

The other was hearing Aly Bain's Follow the Moonstone at a friend's house. I'd just completed a pair of enlarged BIB horns for him using the FF225K. The back wall didn't seem to exist at all; you could hear AB standing in the centre of a semi-circle of musicians, and you'd swear you could hear him moving a pace to the right or left as he played.

... and not to forget B.B. King & Joan Baez @ Sing Sing ... scary for them, apparently, until the music started ... then everybody was friends. The Hoffman Collection DVD is much better than the vinyl or CD.

... just love it when a telephone rings in a DVD movie = Lucky the Cat jumps straight up in the air and runs for cover (maybe too much HF in them Maggie planar speakers).

Back in the seventies I had two BLH enclosures similar to buschhorns but wide to contain two 8" Corals side by side. These were the unfavoured ones with the horn tweeter mounted across the cone. There was a double LP. Spring, summer, autumn, winter done on synthesizers of the time. I was listening in a dose when there was a thunderstorm and rain splattered across the wall behind me. I shot out of the couch and onto the floor to avoid the rain. The cat used to walk around the room looking for the tweeting birds and the lambs baaaaaed outside. Had a Hafler type quad setup with two Richard Allen CG8T at the rear. These were unbelievable, that is totally believable, on tenor sax.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.