Cabinets for Vintage Full Range Lafayette SK-98's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was recently given two of these vintage Lafayette 8" Full Range drivers by a family member.
SK98-1.jpg
SK98-2.jpg

They are unused with one still sealed. After googling, I found them to be real fine drivers, manufactured in Japan by Pioneer. One person claims they are "Japan's answer to the Altec 755."

Here's the specs:
freq. response = 40-16,000 cycles,
Fs = 55-70 cycles
99.5dB/watt sensitivity
10,500 gauss/56,000 maxwells alnico magnet and 8 ohm voice coil

OK, so can anyone recommend a simple cabinet design for these? I would be using them with a 14W/Channel SET and an AMP6 (Class D, 20W/Channel?). Thanks!

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Yeah, these sounded pretty good new and at ~$12, reasonably priced for the times, but I wouldn't swap any usable 755s for them. FWIW, fairly recently someone measured a NOS pair with these averaged results, which indicates the suspensions has dried out with age:

Fs 91 Hz
Vas 0.89 ft^3 (25.202 L)
Qms 4.90
Qes 0.84
Qts 0.72
Re 6.88 ohms
Le 0.78 mH

95.4 dB/w/m

With these specs, a large OB or ~160 L sealed cab is called for, though a large folded pipe will have somewhat more bass, but it's a little more complicated to build.

GM

Hi,

Id like to add that a good tweak is to remove the magnet covers (store the covers in a safe place). Those covers most often is a source of 'ringing' even if screwed on tightly.

BTW, there's a useful spreadsheet by TL (aka Kuei Yang Wang here) in the Single Driver Website for OB's.

regards,
fred

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.