Jordan with a Ribbon MLTL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
great project! I read this thread a while ago and forgot to post a comment. Are the jx92 still available or only thru a group buy? Reading the 'new jordan prelim details' thread and thru internet searches i wondered if the new jordan or one of the EAD drivers would be comparable (should i be unable to acquire jx92s). Can anyone comment?

You can still get the JX92 albeit the latest "evolution" here from EAD

I doubt the Eikona would be exactly the same but you could suck it and see. I know Anders at EAD is very helpful and you could do worse than order a pair of the E100HD drivers, I'm breaking in a pair as we speak in a dual reflex enclosure and they sound fab, very extended bass. I want to see how much if any improvement there is with the tweeter...

Last edited:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ribbon-tweeters/fountek-neocd3.0m-blk-3-ribbon-

I built these speakers several years ago but based on later experience I would suggest this tweeter - all agreed it sounded more natural.

I would suggest 18db / octave but what ever rolloff you use with ribbons you ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE A FILM CAP IN SERIES WITH THE TWEETER - otherwise you are presenting the amps with a full short circuit.

mike

I suggest that you use the mini-monitors 'as is' with their internal crossovers intact. An active crossover can be used between the subwoofer and with the mini-monitors treated as satellite speakers.

I have used this method in my own system. My subwoofer has a plate amplifier and accept line L and R line level inputs from a preamp. The plate amp has an internal crossover which splits the signal between the subwoofer and line level outputs to the power amp for the satellite speakers. The subwoofer crossover has adjustments for the crossover frequency and gain for the sub. The preamp controls the overall volume level once you balance the subwoofer volume to your in-room sound level between it and the satellites.

You can implement a similar configuration with an active crossover processor. You would use separate amps for the bi-amp pair (subwoofers and satellites). The preamp would control the overall volume level while the processor would give you the ability to adjust the in-room balance between the subs and satellites. Some processors offer flexibility to alter time delay between speakers and in-room EQ for the system.

As pointed out by mikelm, if you choose to not use the mini-monitor crossovers, you must take precautions to protect the ribbon tweeters and your amplifiers. Only if you have a crossover processor and amplifiers that self mute on power up and power down cycles can you assure adequate protection. Addition of large value series capacitors are recommended for protection of the tweeters and your amps.

The passive crossovers in the mini-monitors not only perform the crossover function of the mini-monitor, they act to implement baffle step compensation and gain balance between the woofer and tweeter.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a pair of Aurum Cantus G2si I want to pair with Visaton B200 in my Open baffle set-up. I got the Jordan/G2si crossover put together, but the Visaton has same sensitivity and impedance as G2si so I would like to modify. I think it should be possible to remove some of the resistances that is put into the crossover originally. When testing this, it plays to low compared with the Eminence 15A used for the low frequencies. This is a OB construction and I am adding the G2si for fun:). I am also using minidsp to separate the bass from the high part, but since I have only four channels, I need to add passive crossiver for this.

Would really appreciate if someone could guide me to convert the Jordan/G2si crossover to fit Visaton B200/G2si :)

Thanks for the quick reply Colin! I agree with you that the best way is to develop entire new crossover. My goal is however, to see if there are changes to the JX92S/G2si combination I already have assembled from past project that I could use. The split could be in the same frequency range, but I am afraid I am not utilizing the Visaton B200 enough.

Another question: What is the best (simple use) free software avilable for crossover design and simulation?

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.