The Tale of Two Tangbands

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
some time ago, around sept i rad in a brit mag (may be what hi fi) about a company based in raliegh, NC that sold a 5.1 speaker system.

the satelites look suspiciously like the photos dave posted. i think the company was called american acoustic development and is run by phil jones (who used to be based in the uk and ran acoustic energy and very recently designed the airpulse).

please forgive me if there are any errors in this. as one goes senile ones sort term memory goes first :-( i remember the AAD model numbers to be E30, E48 and E6 (for the powered sub).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
navin said:
a tang band 2 way using W5 704 and a 3" of choice (any suggestions dave?) could work.

Of the ones available North America the W3-871 is touted as the best of the lot. What you can get directly out of Hong Kong or Australia i don't know. They change the basket it gets a different number ie the 871 has the round front like the pic of the one i posted but also comes in a pincusion frame.

dave

the website i have is http://www.tb-speaker.com/

the W3-871 or 881S are not shown on this site. neither for tha matter are the W4-656 used by swirv.

of the ones shown i am thinking of using the W5 704 with the W3-315 or W3-319. Another option for the W5-704 is the WA0640A6-W.

what i hope to do is XO with a very high degree of overlap (2-3 octaves of overlap maybe as much as 700Hz to 6k) nothing is set ins stone. it aint even set on paper.

the idea is to have a small foot print speaker that can be used in a 5.1 system and has a high WAF. the speakers might be wall mounted to same floor space. the room is about 400-500 sq. ft.with a 8.5-9 ft ceiling with brick walls.

if wall mounted the front speaker might use 2 5" and a 3". the rear 1 5" and 2 3" for better dispersion and the center might be a MTM based on the vandersteen center. like said before nothing is set. this is just a concept. a speaker to mate (decor wise) with a small (under 30") plasma TV when they become more affordable.

Navin,Dave.
To help you out a little.
The W3-871S is made afor Nuera from the W3-593S using the pin frame as Dave said.
Nuera had this made as the 593S was a sweet speaker but for the DIY would see no sales using that frame.Now once it changed to the round frame the W3-871S was born.Same speaker components just the frame change.
The treated paper is what keeps the cone stable in the higher FS of these things.
Now PE in the States got the W3-594S and seen our move on the frame change and got the W3-879S made.Which is the W3-594S made to a round frame and we did to make the 871S.
The differnece between the 2 treated paper on the W3-593s and the W3-871S, the paper is not treated on the W3-594s and W3-879S.
Mr Bob Koonce and Bob Wright have done a IB design using the best full range driver they could find at the time of print.
This artical will be out in the next few months in the Audio Amature Express.They go into detail about why they picked the 871S over Vifas,Fostex,
And they also go into about treating the paper on the untreated models and what the results are.
I know all this as I was in nuera and talked With Bob Wright from his time of ordering Nuera product up to today as I still talk with him.I can not go in to more as the info has not been released yet to print.

Back to the Drivers.
The W3-871S is made for Nuera and only available from Nuera and Bob at CSS.
http://www.creativesound.ca/index.html
If you want any of the TB product you see from the TB site that is not sold from Nuera or PE .TB will take a order from you for any of the small list they have on the site.They make over 350 speakers just a few are listed.
With the order from TB 1000 pcs is the min order to be placed.:bawling: :bawling:
Now the W5-704 you are talking about Nuera sells that in the shielded part number W5-704C
Smoking driver.This is why Nuera picked this driver.Twin rolled surround and motor for a traveling!

On the W4-657S the better of the 4" that TB makes but after having done a design using them in a MT,MTM I was happy with the findings but the cost of the W4-657S for the out put and filter needed to control it gets to costly over the MCM 55-1855.
So I have dumped all my W4-657S out but I have 6 left which were in the MT,MTM at the NW DIY when Dave was here.
And also the fact that Nuera will not sell any product to myself and has told other companys who sell or deal with myself that if they do .Nuera will not sell the TB product to them anymore.
This person Billy has set out sue my company as he has made claims over the phone to people and will not put statments in writing.But this will be going to the courts I am sure on this.

Best of luck.

Al

And for those needing a little more info.
I am working on using a compond to control the W3-879S from PE to get the results if not better over the W3-871S.
As I am going to be using these and a 3" paper in my ANT.
The trick is the treated paper and geting that correct.
Will take time but I think the results will be there.

Al

i consider teh TB to be affordable versions of the Jordan drivers hence i am looking mostly at teh al cone, dual rubber roll surrounds 4-5" for the bass and a nice 2-3" with wide dispersion forthe top end.

the idea is to use the same drivers for all 5 channels ans have the speaker to be as small as possible. i am looking at box dimension that wont exceed 20" height, 5" deep, 6" wide.

on another link (i forget) there was a post of a pair of TB's used in a TL hung on a wall. I loved that idea even if teh cabinet was a bit tall for my needs.

Navin.
Try the 657S as a fullrange here is a link to one person who loves them in a line.
htpp://www.audio-resolution.com/zhorn
Tom is a person who I talked with many times when i was in Nuera and he loves the out put for the cost of the 657S

Now twin the 657 in a MTM and use the 871S at the tweeter.

I am building a design very close to that as I just finished the MT,MTM using the 657S and 25-302s from TB
:cool:

RAW wrote...
Now the W5-704 you are talking about Nuera sells that in the shielded part number W5-704C
Smoking driver.This is why Nuera picked this driver.Twin rolled surround and motor for a traveling!

how does this compare to the 657?
how does the w3-593 (871) compare to the W2 drivers. i was looking a wide dispersion.

i am considering MMT for the front, MTM (the M's are indirect) for the center, and TMT (45deg baffle) for the rear. The front will have to double as stereo speakers. what is the cabinet size for a 705 / 657?

thanks in advance RAW.

Navin

The 704s is just the shielded.TB just adds a S to the end for shielded part numbers.

Between the 704s and the 657S.
Well I have the MT,MTM playing now using them and the MTM is very good for the 4" drivers.Dave could maybe comment as well as Chris on these.They listened to my design at the NW DIY.
On the 704S I am doing a design using them now and hope to finish after Xmas.
But cabinet sizes are
4" MT 12X6X8 external ported 95hz
4" MTM 18X6X9.5 External ported 75hz
5" MT 16X8X12 external
5" MTM 26X8X12 external

For the
W4-657S
W5-704S
Not having finsihed the W5 design I am not 100% stuck on findings till then but the MTM using the 657S is very very good.
I have 1 set of these and the MT center channel and I am clearing them out as I can not get the drivers from Nuer_ any more.
So these are a dead issue for me.
But the design is very good.Just can not get the drivers.
I am doing the MT using the 5" for someone else not myself.He can purchase from Nuer_.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.