to build curved front panel Jordan JX92?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pikkujöpö said:
What difference does it make when the front panel is curved inwards?The front panels are normally curved outwards,are'n they?

I have planned to add some acrylic panels to widen MLTL:s.After some testing with cardboard the improvement is very noticeable.

With what MLTL design you do cardboard experiments? MLTL48 or MLTL31? What size of front panel you have?

I guess that with wide curved outwards front panel sound should be very good. So this is the reason to make me to want to build such speaker design.

I don't think the curvey array design is available yet. I presume it is concave like that either as a styling exercise or because it loads the mid-bass in some way, perhaps to similulate the loading effect of an even wider baffle.

I can confirm that adding wings to the MLTL changes the tone of the driver output, giving it more body. As it happens in the upper bass, lower mid, it would work with both the 31 and 48 MLTL. Placing against a wall has a similar effect but in my experience the 48 MLTL goes bass-heavy if placed right back into corners.

Colin said:
I can confirm that adding wings to the MLTL changes the tone of the driver output, giving it more body. As it happens in the upper bass, lower mid, it would work with both the 31 and 48 MLTL.

Intriguing. Can you elaborate please? What exactly did you do? Are you referring to those very nice triangular cabinets you posted a picture of some time back?

What do wings do to the imaging? My own take on GM's 48 MLTL has very narrow baffles (155mm/6.15 inches) and images superbly. I would like to try to get a bit more body to the sound.

My MLTL baffle is also very narrow. I tried adding baffles on both sides of cabinet and measured the effect.

Blue: narrow baffle (~16 cm)
Green: extra baffles > ~50 cm baffle
Turquoise: extra baffles tilted in about 15 degrees.

obj83geo72pg1p5.png

Hi Nardis

i just placed a couple of sheets of foamboard either side of my triangular cabinets to see what the effect would be. It gave the tone more body but I only did it with one cabinet, so I don't know what it would do to the imaging. I found placing the cabinets next to the walls had a similar effect on the tone and no change to the imaging, at least in my room.

goodspeaker said:

With what MLTL design you do cardboard experiments? MLTL48 or MLTL31? What size of front panel you have?

: MLTL48"
I haven't desided on the size yet,but the cardboard baffle for testing is about 60x50cm.The speakers are placed some distance from the walls.
Overall the sound is more pleasant with the wider baffle.
When placed near the wall as Colin advises(with narrow baffle) they give very nice sound and even more low bass.Unfortunately in my setup the TV set between speakers kind of ruins the sound and I'm forced to have the speakers further in the room and experiment with the wider baffles to compensate.

:smash:

Very nice!

Just a couple possible suggestions:
1. Side-firing vents (mirrored pair). (I don't know what your plans for supports are, this is perhaps unnecessary.)
2. Something very diffusive/damping like deflex or whispermat or thick wool on the side directly behind the driver.

Very curious to see progress on this project!

Dumbass said:
Very nice!

Just a couple possible suggestions:
1. Side-firing vents (mirrored pair). (I don't know what your plans for supports are, this is perhaps unnecessary.)
2. Something very diffusive/damping like deflex or whispermat or thick wool on the side directly behind the driver.

Very curious to see progress on this project!

Why Side-firing vents ? Why this can be good?
I do not know how to calculate MLTL design I just make volume and port like in MLTL design here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40738
Picture without bottom support, I just do not know yet what design of support look good and stable.
Your advise of damping appreciated I will try.

Side-firing vent gives plenty of clearance behind the vent. If firing down, the end of the vent is a few inches above the inside floor of the cabinet. I think this design requires the vent exit to be as close to the floor as possible. Plus you don't have to worry about raising the speaker off the floor.

Mirror image is a good idea given that the design is sensitive to walls and corners (at least, in my experience) - then you have the option to tune the sound a little by having vents close to or away from walls.

A very nice looking design and I'll be interested to follow progress. Good luck with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.