Which amp/speaker combo? 300Bse + FE126/206/166E or Solid State + Jordan JX92S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these speaker/amp [300Bse + any FE126E, FE166E, FE206E FOSTEX or Solid State + Jordan JX92S] combinations as I would like to purchase something shortly and would appreciate hearing your opinions.

I mostly listen to acoustic folk, flamenco, jazz, not much rock.

I have heard a pair of Fostex FE206E (in BR cabinets designed for FE207E) driven by a 300B SE amp and was impressed. Sound was a lot more detailed than anything I have heard before and bass was good. Only problem was that the upper frequencies were quite shouty/loud compared to the rest of the range.

I've heard good things about the JX92S in Jordan's TL cabinet and I like the flatter frequency response of this driver, but understand that I would need a solid state amp to drive it or else a push pull type valve amp as SE amp would not have enough power.

1) Would I lose detail going for this type of combination using an amp that is NOT a 300B SE type?

2) Should I stick with 300B type amp and look for a Fostex with flatter freqeuncy response or go with JX92S + SS amp?

3) Has anyone heard both these driver combinations and can offer their opinion?

Many thanks,

Cangaceiro

I use the JX92s with solid state gear and although it's relatively low powered, it sounds good. I believe Jordan's Hong Kong distributor uses the 92s with a specially developed valve amp. The Jordans do like a good, grippy drive. They are also very revealing. One of Peter's Gainclone designs would be ideal.

I have heard a pair of Fostex FE206E (in BR cabinets designed for FE207E) driven by a 300B SE amp and was impressed. Sound was a lot more detailed than anything I have heard before and bass was good. Only problem was that the upper frequencies were quite shouty/loud compared to the rest of the range.

If you are thinking of putting one of the Fostex FE-XX6E drivers in a ported box, you might consider using a SS amp. The system you heard with the tube amp was shouty which indicates it needs some form of correction filter. A more powerful SS amp will allow you to optimize the filter to any value and still get the best performance from the FE-XX6E driver.

If you stick with any of the FE-XX6E drivers and the 300B amp, my guess is the system will always sound too bright. Sometimes when you hear a bright system for the first time you immeduiately are struck by how detailed and revealing it sounds, unfortunately that immediate impression will probably not last and if will become fatiguing and annoying.

I use a 300B SET with 6sn7 ,a they plays into my frontloaded tractrix horns with FE206,I use this setup for frequencies above 200Hz.
All that I can say about it is that the brightness is away because horn "lifts" midrange up,and now it is O.k.,horn is simply less efficient for highs because of their directionality.

The sound is great.

I tried my 300B amp on my 206's (in Fostex 208 horns) for a short time and thought it sounded good, much better than the Belle Klipsch I had been using.
The Planet10 phase plugs helped the "shouty" sound and made them more balanced (IMO)
I have not heard the other drivers you meantioned.

Either "flavor" can sound very good. It really is a matter of taste.

If you found the Fostex "shouty", you might really dig what the JX92S does with vocals.

On the other hand, an 8" driver in the proper enclosure will have more balls.

I have a pair of FE207E in vented cabinet, driven by gainclone (with tube pre). I have auditioned a pair of the Jordans. I really liked how mids and highs sounded. But in truth I desire more visceral lows, so if I went with Jordans, I would have stereo active bass units. To me, that could be the best of both worlds.

Given your stated musical preferences, a pair of Jordans in one of GM's MLTL designs with moderately powered (i.e. not SET) amplification could be very very satisfying. Add a subwoofer, so much the better. Just be sure you account for baffle step loss if you don't place them against the rear wall.

While I can't comment on all of your drivers, for quite a while I had the Welborne 300B monos driving the FE168E Sigmas in a BIB box. A great combo! Sounded wonderful and very involving, not bright at all.

Eventually I switched to a high-end gainclone, as it had cleaner bass and was more extended on both ends. However, the gent who bought the 300Bs loves them and has tried them on various systems, (horn) with success.

Thanks for your comments chaps. Have taken note of the filtering and phase plugs suggestions. I will search threads in regards to this and keep note of these approaches.

I know the FE206E has a steep rising FR, but I thought the FE126E and FE166E had a flatter frequency response and so were less inclined to do this to the extremes that the FE206E does this. Or is there little difference in reality?

I guess if I used JX92S no filter or else FE206E with filtering in MLTL I would have to move to higher output amp.

Do you think a push pull amp with 20 watts per channel would be enough to drive the Jordans JX92S, as the other valve amp I'm considering is a 300B push pull?

Does anyone think I'd be losing out much in sound quality using a push pull instead of SET amp?

Again, thanks for the great responses guys.

Cheers

Cangaceiro

You probably know this, but much of the enjoyment of SET comes from small distortions. Push pull is probably less distorted, but may not have quite the detail of SET, assuming all parts are equal $$. A decent push pull amp has lots of musical enjoyment. So from that perspective, I don't think you can go wrong.

20 watts is plenty with the Jordans. My reference to that was a website where someone stated they were using a 2a3 amp of around 3 watts with the Jordans. It didn't have great low end, but the just used a sub and said it was quite amazing. I'd think 20 watts would be plenty. And tube watts seem to have more oomph than SS watts.

Coffee said:
I use a 300B SET with 6sn7 ,a they plays into my frontloaded tractrix horns with FE206,I use this setup for frequencies above 200Hz.
All that I can say about it is that the brightness is away because horn "lifts" midrange up,and now it is O.k.,horn is simply less efficient for highs because of their directionality.

The sound is great.
Hello Coffee,
I've built a pair of ML TL using FE206E after a design by MJ King and now am building a pair of monoblocks using 6C33C-B tubes. My intention is to add some tractrix horns to my speakers and would appreciate so much if you can give me the details of your horns. Plans and pics would help very much.
Thank you,
TTA

I have used SE 300b with JX92s MLTL .Power is a little low side for 88db sens. Running 300b near 450 vdc seems to be just enough for Jordans
in case you are not interested playing loud.
In sound 300b and Jordans MLTL are in my opinion perfect match both have their strenghts in same area.

Papparazzi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.