Jx92s VTL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
maxro said:
it seems that GM's MLTL designs are preferred here over the VTL from the Jordan site.
I forget who modelled the VTL using Martin King's software; anyway, the VTL was designed BEFORE that software was available.

I tend to agree, the two GM designs (31" and 48") look awfully good and have gotten good reviews.

One nice thing about the VTL is the wide baffle. I think that's a big part of why it sounds so good. Also, I think the VTL performs better in-room than modeling would indicate.

One could do a lot worse than a pair of JX92S.

I am considering building speakers with the JX-92S driver as well and it ends up in either GM's cabinets (most likely the 48") or in Peter Milletts MLTQWP (alphabet soup extraordinaire these assignments) found at http://www.pmillett.com/jx92s.htm. RAndyB reported building some designs on the driver and was not very happy with the VLT and I think he eventually used Peters design.

I suppose either of the GM31 or the GM48 cabinets would have their own merits, Colin hinted that someone preferred the 48" to the 31" while the 31" could give a more accurate response http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=789280#post789280

Has anyone auditioned both? Opinions on Peters design?

// Jonas

Hi - Bruce (abpea) built both MLTLs (and the VTL). GM has mentioned a couple of times that the 31" is the more accurate, closer to a true monitor. The 48 veers towards a musical instrument presentation.

I'm using the 48" and find it an addictive speaker to listen to, with really engaging bass (without sounding overwarm or full). Note that this is on some quite nimble-sounding Naim amps, so others may not suit. The Gainclone should be a good match, from the descriptions I've read.

I've heard the VTL, which I liked but didn't feel had the bass reach of the MLTLs - though it wasn't a side-by-side comparison. If you keep the internal cross sectional area the same, you could build a wide baffle version of the MLTLs. Bruce has done this and retained the triangular cross-section. I went for the triangle shown on the Jordan site. (The measurements there came from GM and should be the final spec.)

BVruce's review of the various MLTL variants is here.

One more thing -protect the drivers when you're fitting them as it only takes a dropped bolt to gain a dent. Mark Audio sells some neat plastic covers which fit onto the driver bolts with magnets. You take 'em off to listen and fit back on quick when there are children and/or animals around. (Why do dogs like to stuff their noses directly against the source of sound when a loudspeaker is playing?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.