Really Small Self-Powered Speakers Help???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!

Wondering if there is a way to build a small set of speakers for an MP3 player...using 3" full range speakers.

I am certain I can work out the deatils of building the enclosures but unsure of how to get the things to power up.

Right now I am building some "franken speakers" using some 3" speakers from a small boom box type radio and the circuit board from a set of PC speakers ...I am attaching the speakers to 1/8" plexiglass and then affixing this to small pine boxes filled with baffling....haven't made the final product yet so not sure on the sound.

I work in a fairly harsh environment so I don't want to spend 100-300 on a decent pair of speakers for the MP3 but the speaker I bought for the MP3 sound so weak and thin, I want to see about building something a little more substantial...doesn't have to sound top of the line or anything ...just decent, full range sound with a good amount of volume.

Can one buy parts for a self powered speaker system??? If so , where?

What would be needed?

I have noticed that the PC speakers have all the controls on a singl circuit board....I would really only need on/off and volume as the MP3 player has a decent EQ function.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.