Natural roll-off or cross-over: what's best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm planning to remove the whizzer-cone on my Beyma backloaded horns and implement a supertweeter for better high-frequency response. My dilemma is which would be best: making use of the natural roll-off of the Beyma and adding the supertweeter with a 6db or 12db/ octave high-pass; or also using a low-pass to create a 'more constant' roll-off for the Beyma.

I was told that the natural roll-off would be a mixture of 6db and 12db/ octave so I'm not too sure which order filter the supertweeter should have for a good implementation if I do decide to use the Beyma's naturall roll-off.

Your advice would be highly appreciated:angel:

I'm not personally familiar with the Beyma drivers. Any guesses as to how high the Beyma will go with out a whizzer? I guess it depends on if there are any nasty breakup modes, hopefully nothing too ugly if it is a fullrange driver. Either way crossover components get smaller (i.e. cheaper) the higher the frequency, so if you're really curious you could try both and find out for yourself. If that does not interest you I would leave the Beyma running open and put a single cap on the supertweeter.
Joe

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your response. You've got a point where you say that the natural roll-off shouldn't be to ugly in a fullrange driver. The speakers do use a notch filter though but I'll have to do some calculations to see what midrange frequencies are being attenuated. BTW I'm talking about a cheap and popular fullrange kit (mostly sold in Germany) that uses Beyma 8AG/N drivers (PA but sound good) - I'm really a newbie when it comes to crossover-designing; at least the math seems very simple:D Maybe I'll have to buy some software and microphone to measure the frequency response and then move onwards:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.