Hawthorne Silver Iris - New OB driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bartek,

The only direct comparison I can make is to the FE206 and the Iris beats it out in every category except maybe in detail, which is very close, and sensitivity which is a push. That was running without braced baffles on the Iris's and the panel vibrations may have smeared the detail enough to make an audible difference. I'll wait to do a good direct head to head until I have proper inert baffles.

I don't know about the Beta 15CX, but the 8CX doesn't even come close and that's ignoring, of course, the obvious difference in being able make bass.

The only direct comparison I can make is to the FE206 and the Iris beats it out in every category except maybe in detail, which is very close, and sensitivity which is a push

Thanks,

I'm using FE 206 right now with Aurum Cantus G2Se on top of them with simple 2uF Siemens MKV cap.

The drivers have phase plugs fitted and are painted with dammar. I'm using them in 60L bass reflex enclosure with RL circuit in series with driver.

Do they have less details than FE 206 in te midrange? Are the highs smooth and good quality?
The highs of FE 206 without supertweeter are quite low quality, very dissapointing.

Bartek

Aurum Cantus G2Si + FE206E and you're using 2uF for the capacitor? That would put your crossover at around 15K 1st order since the tweeter is nominal 6 ohms, so the tweeter is still adding significantly down to 10K and below! That is way too low. The FE206 already has a rising teble response in this area. I did the same thing, adding the G2Si to my Decware HDT speakers w/FE206E's and used ~1uF which puts the crossover at about 25K but with plainly audible output. It adds just the right amount of air without increasing the brightness already there on the FE206.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=HDT;action=display;num=1126166044

Bartek,

If you are using a totally different driver, then why are you asking questions that I already answered with "every category except..." about the 206? If the 204 doesn't have a rising response and rolls off above 10khz, then it's totally different driver in terms of response. They are just both 8" drivers made by the same manufacturer and start with "20". I'd like to hear those 204's though if it's anything like a 206 without the rising response and ragged top end.

It's just they are actually the same drivers. The parameters are very similar and I was using 206E , too. In the same enclosure, actually before I got AC ribbons. I sold 206E and stayed with 204, but to me 204 and 206 is actually the same drivers, they are very very similar. if one doesn't know they are a bit diffrent wouldn't notice the diffrance. I just forgot I'm using 204 and when bbaker6212 asked why am I using 2uF I thought it might be diffrent for 206 but I doubt it.204 is an older version of 206E. 206E is newer, slightly changed 204, they look the same and the specs. are very close. See the PDF.

Attachments

• fe204rev.pdf
    49.1 KB · Views: 65
Bartek,

Are you related to John Kerry? Flip flopping all over the place. Same...different....same....

Many of the same parts it seems. Is the cone different? Let's just call them very similar and leave it at that.

I have the FE206e and Silver Iris, running both in OB alignments and I stick with my original comparison.

Sorry to confuse you.

They both have identical cones and whizzers. The baskets are the same , too. 206 has a bit bigger and apparently stronger magnet, and that probably makes it 1db more efficent and makes Qts 0,18 instead of 0,2 in 204, but as I said I consider them to be the same drivers in practice.

I just (after reading the comment about 2uF cap) looked closely at the graphs, especially 10K area and indeed they look quite a bit diffrent there so I thought I might mention this, becouse this might (but doesn't have to) explain the diffrances.

Is that OK with you , now?? :)

I have the FE206e and Silver Iris, running both in OB alignments and I stick with my original comparison.

So you get virtually NO bass from Fostex. Kind of not fair comparison.

Bartek

i know ... old topic :) but i'm realy interested in the SI 15" driver, and especialy the shiping cost to UK.man i'm strugling with the main driver, the Tesla i'm usin sound gorgeous on acoustic music like piano, trumpet, sax, but on louder volumes and with bigger bands its awfull :(
ancient driver, what do you expect.
so the IS would fill in the gap....
any luck on how to get it to UK? does someone have it?

danny

barackuda said:
i know ... old topic :) but i'm realy interested in the SI 15" driver, and especialy the shiping cost to UK.man i'm strugling with the main driver, the Tesla i'm usin sound gorgeous on acoustic music like piano, trumpet, sax, but on louder volumes and with bigger bands its awfull :(
ancient driver, what do you expect.
so the IS would fill in the gap....
any luck on how to get it to UK? does someone have it?

danny

Why not ask the man himself? www.hawthorneaudio.com

The forum is very active, you will get a quick answer there.

They just announced a new "Sterling Silver Iris". Pre orders being accepted. Its mentioned in the speaker forum on their site. Make sure you are sitting comfortably when you see the price '-)

They may well be worth it, the components used in the crossover are all "boutique"
and Radian compression drivers but they have IMHO taken quite a big step up in the market. I wish I could hear them. If they were a bit cheaper I would probably take the plunge.

Andrew

hey guys, i have two of these for sale, here in UK ;)
I mean Silver IRIS, the basic one.

danny.

they sound realy different from classic construction, and can be listened to for a looooooong time.no harsh, no rough uper end.i'm realy satisfied.but unfortunatly i'm going home, so cant take them with me....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.