Pre-Orders Up for 206-ESR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's two of us. Incidentally, is it me or does this thing look reminiscent of the original 208Sigma with a magnet of truely epic proportions added? It certainly doesn't look like it shares a single component with the standard FE206E. I've been looking forward to this. I feel in need of a MONSTER BIB box or ML TQWT... Oh yes indeed.

Best
Scott

Scottmoose said:
That's two of us. Incidentally, is it me or does this thing look reminiscent of the original 208Sigma with a magnet of truely epic proportions added? It certainly doesn't look like it shares a single component with the standard FE206E. I've been looking forward to this. I feel in need of a MONSTER BIB box or ML TQWT... Oh yes indeed.

Best
Scott

I thought EXACTLY the same thing when I posted this.. just wanted to see if anyone else picked up on it (..of course the diaphram material is quite different - along with the magnet.) I think however that the frame IS the same (along with the surround - though the spider is probably quite different).

It be nice if it was as "flat" (freq. response) as the 166 ESR, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Hmm. Odd response. Not bad, but I agree with the notion that there must be a reason for producing a driver with a response like this. Still a decent filter would sort that, or it could be tamed with other methods. I still want a pair. Sort of now-ish. ;-) If you don't indulge yourself in this life, no-one else will!

Hey -one thought: those brass rings Fostex produce (massively over-priced, but they work, and they look fantastic!) for the FE208ESigma: anyone reckon they'll fit this beast? Looks like it to me...

(Oh happy days... ;-)

Brass rings

Hi,

these rings are overpriced for sure! A local craftsman might assemble them for much less?! But they will fit to FE206ES-R. Both have the same dimensions.

Regards
Thorsten

Attachments

• esr_vs_ez.jpg
    esr_vs_ez.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,445
Godzilla said:

with a response like that (plus the cost differential), my 166 ESR is starting to look like a steal..

makes me wonder though if that massive dip at 550 Hz is a measurement error (courtesy of a reverse phase reflection). If so then it starts looking better - but more as a high eff. midbass driver than a fullrange driver.

Agreed. I reckon I'm going to take the measurements with a pinch of salt until I see something else which confirms or disproves them. They should be good. I'd be very surprised if the were not.

I wonder what would happen if Fostex bolted the FE166ES-R motor to the 168ESigma cone and basket (with appropriate other tweaks of course)... just idle speculation of course.

Scott

Hi,

the German Fostex distributor informed me today that they will receive a couple of FE206ES-R for the European market. Prices are still not fixed yet but they promised that the price will be "attractive". As soon as I know all details I will take pre-orders.

Regards
Thorsten

I like very much my Supravox field coils on open baffles but sometimes I wish I had a more massive sound. Do you think these drivers will give me that (in properly built horns)? I could build these and switch between the OBs and the horns as needed. Or should I look into something like the Big Fun Horns? Or maybe justa a three way system.

BTW I use 8 watt 300B SETs.

thanks,

xavier

European prices for FE206ES-R fixed

Hi there,

the German Fostex distributor informend me that they will receive FE206ES-R end of February or Beginning/Mid of March. The price will be 250 Euro per unit. For those who might say "why so expensive" compared to Madisound price, an example:

225 USD per unit = 450 USD/pair (US price is always without tax)
shipping cost approx 100 USD/pair
after Euro conversion = approx. 460 Euro (depending on actual rate)
plus 4% customs = approx. 480 Euro
plus 16% tax = approx. 555 Euro (maybe higher in other EU countries)

Bottom line: 250 Euro/unit is a quite "good" price within Europe. Stock will be limited because FE206ES-R was only intend to be shipped to USA!

Regards
Thorsten

FE206ES-R data sheet

FE206ES-R recommended horn enclosure

MathCad predicted response of the FE206ES-R in the recommended back horn, without stuffing applied. This is approximate as these Fostex Factory horns are really a series of expanding QWRs, which I suspect affects the results, and I didn't take a perfectly accurate measure of the overall horn length. However, I tried some variations increasing and decreasing length in 5" increments each way, and the results didn't alter vastly. I've no idea about the response on the enclosure diagram since it doesn't say how they were taken. Better than I was expecting, though some fairly hefty stuffing will be needed to flatten out the response.

Best
Scott

Attachments

• mathcad predicted fr fe206es-r blh.gif
    mathcad predicted fr fe206es-r blh.gif
    16.1 KB · Views: 642
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.