Singular & Fostex FE206e Phase Plug and EQ Modifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A month ago I set out to build a pair of Singular Full-Range speakers to complement a Sonic Impact T-amp, with a 500 Euro budget. In pursuit of balancing this combination I tried various modifications and benefitted from numerous suggestions by Bert Doppenberg. Hence I have shared some fun experiences I had during this project on his forum.

http://www.diy-systems.com/wwwboard/forum_entry.php?id=10135

I invite you to enjoy this report and possibly contribute comments that will further benefit this project.

In short, I build the Singular enclosures from 18mm birch ply, with sand in the dead spaces, and used the Fostex fe206e as a driver. The softdome was cut and replaced by wooden phase plugs. The effect on SPL and phase was measured to design an adapted EQ-notch (0,68 mH, 470nF, 100 Ohm).

Since the T-amp was found wanting in low bass, a 7Ah battery was added, the Nelson Pass 47 Ohm trick was tried, a new case and volume pot for good measure, and the tiny input cap's where replaced.

I now enjoy the result in a 3x6m garden house, with an Apple Powerbook with Lossless encoding in iTunes and a vintage Philips CD-player. It's a huge step from my old Luxman/B&W setup, but I feel it's not in balance yet. But before I adjust the Singular notch and T-amp again I will give them some time to properly break in, and me some time to listen and enjoy. I am very much interested in the experience of others with the notch and the t-amp.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In the below treads I go into some further details of the modifications, for those who are interested.

Singular Modifications
T-AMP Modifications

Fostex 206e phase plug.

Hello,

I am building the Oris 150 horn and gone use the Fostex 206e also , I have a pair of planet 10 phase pluggen .
Did you make the phase pluggen by your self ??

Ps. misschien is het makkelijker buiten het forum te mailen ,
Nederlands is toch wel makkelijker.:D

vintage Philips CD player

I have one of the earliest Philips models (101) made in Holland. It's made of a hefty metal construction. Seems indestructible, although it doesn't currently play. It's not the laser beam however.

Does anyone know what such a model is worth to collectors and if anyone might be interested in purchasing it?

Nicocanuck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.