Fostex Tweeters : T90A, T900A, T500A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I was pretty sure that the T90A was better than the FT96H, that's why I am going to put the FT96H on the FE168EZ which are my surround speakers and get new tweeters for the FE208EZ.

I am now wondering what could bring the T900A or the T500A. But I think it will be T90A or T900A.

Thanks.

PS : funny thing, I am making an Audax kit with a PR130 :)

Hi,

I listen to a lot of kind of music but mostly rock and metal music.

Depending on what and how you listen to music, a subwoofer is quite recommended.

I have backhorn enclosures for my FE208EZ, you can listen to music without a subwoofer. But depending on how I feel and the music I am listening to I plug or not the bass speakers. Crossover frequency variying from 80 to 200Hz.

Greg.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Greg,

Do you have the recommended enclosures from Fostex for your 208EZs?
A friend of mine is planning to build them and he is wondering how they sound.
He allready has order a pair of 208EZ and a pair of T90A.
Do you use a different cap instead of 1uF that is reccomended for the T900A?Or the same?

resident said:
Greg,

Do you have the recommended enclosures from Fostex for your 208EZs?
A friend of mine is planning to build them and he is wondering how they sound.
He allready has order a pair of 208EZ and a pair of T90A.
Do you use a different cap instead of 1uF that is reccomended for the T900A?Or the same?

Hey,

I do not use the recommended enclosure for FE208EZ which you can find on the fostexinternational website. I use the Nagaoka D58-ES enclosure, you can find the plans on my website (click the english flag) if you want : satriany.free.fr
I don't know if this case is better than the Fostex one as I didn't try the Fostex one. But it is working well and I am sure the Fostex one is OK too.

FE208EZ + T90A is a great choice !

I am now using a FT96H with a 1.5µF capacitor and a Fostex L-Pad.

I will try the T90A, I don't know if the T900 is worth the money, maybe someone can tell ?

I tried 1, 1.5 and 2 µF and I think the 1.5µF is the best : with 1µF the cut is too high and you are missing some details. Masao Ida used a T900A with 1.5µF too. With the L-Pad you can attenuate the tweeter the way you want.

Lagroute said:
Greg has the Nagaoka enclosures which are one of the best backhorn for fostex drivers :
http://satriany.free.fr/pages/enceintes/nagaoka/fostex.php

Hey Lagroute--

Wow! These look really nice! Do you know how Greg painted these enclosures? Is that a stain or a paint? It looks like it was brushed on, is that right?

I have a really hard time getting MDF to look good, but this is clearly a wonderful job.

Please let me know, if you can!

Thanks!
Kofi

Its the Nessie jr, a smaller version of the Nessie which used an FE208ES or SS, I could look it up if you really wanted to know but they are both "unobtainum" anyway, the jr used a FE168ES IIRC. They are long pipes originally used in AV setups and from what I could understand did amazing bass, I suppose the roof loading helps.

Andrew

quote:
Originally posted by Lagroute
Greg has the Nagaoka enclosures which are one of the best backhorn for fostex drivers :
http://satriany.free.fr/pages/encei...aoka/fostex.php

Hey Greg--

Wow! These look really nice! Is that a stain or a paint? It looks like it was brushed on, is that right?

I have a really hard time getting MDF to look good, but this is clearly a wonderful job.

Please let me know, if you can!

Thanks!
Kofi

Thanks for your comment ;)

I didn't know how to tell you about the finish so I asked a translator :
it is a mahogany tree varnish, I put two layers. On the edges you should put 3 layers because the MDF absorbs a lot there.

For the FE168EZ I chose the D37 plans which is the little sister of the D58-ES.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.