Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Godzilla

I have to admit I was thinking the same thing with the bamboos for the bedroom system I was talking about. Won't get to it for a while, but in time...

Great idea to put a reference page together. Kudos to you!

And thanks to everyone for contributing. I have to admit I feel much more justified in building and pushing this design, as I have been for a while now.

hey all,,

been lurking and looing at this for a bit,,

i have some fe166e's , i have allready cut my wood prematurely ,,

i think i went a wee bit shallow on the depth ,,

here are the specs,,,

70" H x 12" D x 9.5" W ( all externel),,

the depth is not what i read to be ok , some were at least 14 " deep , but am i making a bit up with the increase height and depth ?

i am just trying this out ,, i allready cut my mdf,, hopefully these should sound ok ,,

currently they are in some bk-16 cabs that i built over a year ago ,, being pused by a p-mour 2a3 amp,,

well gotta head out,,

thanks all

chris

They may not be ‘fine tuned’ dims… but I’ve collected BIB dims discussed for the following drivers and will post on my website in the next week or so:

Fostex, 103, 164, 168es, 125, 165, f120a, fx120
Tang Band 4” Bamboo
Monacor SPH 60X
Supravox 165LB
Hemp 8”
B200 8”
Pioneer B20
Radio Shack 1354, 1197

Tho nothing here has been proven to work perfectly and may require fine tuning, these dims offer a nice starting point and will be posted as such. As we build and refine over time the dims will change and more finished designs will emerge.

Basically, if a design is just way too bassy… I would reduce cabinet dims. We may discover some of these designs just don’t work well at all. Who knows? But it’s a neat place to start IMO.

Peace,
Godzilla

http://www.zillaspeak.com/BIB.asp

PS. Thanks Scott and GM for your imput on these designs. Forgive me if i left anyone out.

Oface -if you're not running a tube amp, you'll need some series resistance I suspect with the 166. Try Terry's 30AWG magnet wire trick.

Zilla -watch it with the TB Bamboo dims, I was off with that one: they're far too tall for the driver Fs. Better to drop them to, say, a 48" height (96" total length) with the driver 19.2" down from the top. A baby BIB. ;-)

email coming up re your post below. I'll get something more refined sorted for the 4 1/2" Fostex units soon too.

Best
Scott

scott,,

i am running tube ampsdo you think series R still be needed?

i have and still on planning on using 30 awg magnet wire,,

i am also will have the deiver siiting on top of a circular baffel that is approx 12" in diameter , i needed more clearence for the rear of the driver,,

i will be starting to assemble to cabs tonight,,

later,,,

chris

The BIB looks a good first project for me, the footprint won't be much more than the floor standing sealed boxes I'm using now.

Earlier in the thread there was some mention of tuning. What does this entail? I'd like to build it and then spend my time listening. Dare say that might change and I'll get into tinkering but not for now, so I'd like to get 'near enough' first attempt.

Any recommendations for a driver? The amp will be either a Charlize or an Amp3 if I get the courage to have a go at surface mount soldering. My room is 12' x 15' with 8' ceilings. One speaker will be in a corner, the other as close to a corner as the door permits. Ease of listening is a biggie for me, once up and running they're staying on. (I don't have a TV.) The Fostex FE126 is getting good reviews but the 108 seems to have that extra touch of class according to a few well respected posters here.

Thanks

Godzilla said:
GM has so many sims all over the place it would be difficult to find them all but i feel GM should have a page as well for all his effort. Thank you very much GM! From MLTLs, ported, BIB's... amazing number of designs... I'd be happy to put a page together for you as well. You have many Fostex, TB, Pioneer, Jordan and Radio Shack dims out there that i know of.

Greets!

You're welcome and thanks for the offer! As you know SB started one then 'disappeared' without bothering to give me the access info to update it, so I started one on MSN only to have them delete it in an 'upgrade', so said to heck with it.

Yes, and for all that I've published, I've done many more privately, so have around 1300 total, though a goodly percentage are just variations of a basic alignment for a given driver.

Anyway, let me know which drivers you're interested in, and TIA for the effort! No drawings though other than whatever Dave p10 has done, so how they're handled is between you two. Hmm, now that I think about it, I do have a few sketches of some RS driver proofs-of-concept' I cobbled together, but I don't know if it's worth the effort to publish them at this late date though.

GM

Re: Hempsters

jimmyd53 said:
GM thanks for all your input.

A few questions. Do you recommend that the height stays at 70” or should it be extended to better utilize ceiling/corner loading? Should I angle cut the top? Will I need a BCS circuit?

Greets!

You're welcome!

Increasing the length lowers Fp, hence ultimate loading up through the midbass falls, lowering the 'slam factor' capability, so all things considered I wouldn't. I mean this thing sims a half space ~32 F3 at 95 dB eff., so in a corner it's going to be lower. If your room's construction is really solid, it wouldn't surprise me if it did 64 ft pipe organ and movie special effects you can feel if a suitable SS amp is used.

No BSC required if up against a wall and may wind up being bass heavy if in a corner, so you'll probably have to experiment as to how close to put them in this case.

GM

pjanda1 said:
I'm pretty bummed that the hemps would require such enormous enclosures. 18x18 is just out of the question, I fear. I may buy some cheap ply to see just how bad the ripple is with a 12x18 jammed into a corner.

Greets!

It's not the ripple so much as the huge midbass suckout with the ~one note bass boom below it. The room will alter it of course, but you would have to find the best point to help fill in the suckout, which is typically somewhere around the middle of the room, not a viable location in a typical home.

If you want to 'burn' some wood, try this, it won't have the acoustic efficiency or super low F3 of the BIB, but should work fine in a corner down into the 30s without any BSC and is small enough to use a triangular cab:

L = 57.25"
CSA = 100"^2
driver around 36-38" from floor

Since the cab is triangular, cut off the lower rear tip at a 45 deg angle to create a corner apex firing vent with a CSA = ~19.63" and tune it either by moving the cab out from the corner and/or spacing it up off the floor to suit. I'd start with 3/4" away from the corner and up off the floor.

GM

I don’t want this to be a competition with Dave… I don’t have to have this info on my website. Dave has done a great job and makes much better drawings than I do. Since the BIB is the same basic shape every time all that’s needed are the dims.

I was motivated last night to do this because the thread had gotten so long I felt like reigning it in. Everyone’s comments are valuable but the dims Scott had been posting seemed to need a more organized place. Personally, a handful of these BIB’s look interesting to me and may be built for my home or office. Something more interesting than simming in WinISD for a change.

The DIY community needs fresh thinking… and tho this basic design may have been around forever it’s particularly well suited for full range drivers (our favorites!). If computer generated sims are available, pointing us in the right direction, then why not gather the info and offer it up to everyone as a community?

There may be no audio breakthroughs here but at least it’s solid math, experimentation and fun. I’ve not heard a subjectively negative comment on a BIB and since it’s all about the music and not the measurements why not offer up good sounding designs to grow and keep our DIY community strong. At least it’s another alternative project to a basic sealed or ported box and it offers something different than more difficult back or front horns. It fills the gap between difficulty and interest so I feel it’s important to explore. Of course there’s also open baffle, omni directional, etc….

Dave, I would be happy to help you organize and post GM’s designs on your website if you’d like. I have a handful on my PC regarding the Fostex 168S, 127e and a small TB I think. I also built the Pioneer/Piezo I love so much based on comments posted by GM from years back. I prefer mine simply sealed but I’ve seen GM had designed a large ported box for that driver too. GM’s database should be in an organized format for DIY’ers to view. Imagine how an organized library of his designs would benefit full range driver speaker builders!

DBB

I mocked up the BIB enclosure that Greg modeled for the Hemp FR8 out of cardboard just to see how they would fit in my listening room. The external dims are 70"H x 18.5"W x 18.5"D. I haven't decided if I can live with them yet, but I can tell you thay take up a lot of real estate. I think we should change the name from BIB to DBB - Damn Big Box. I will leave them up a few days and see if they grow on me. Again thanks to Greg, Scott, Dan and everyone else on this board that freely shares their knowledge and experience. This really is a very special place. James