Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Nope, my own design. I thought it out in my head. I wanted something different...not the tall rectangular box most folks build. I wanted something curvy. I decided to go with curved sides. That's the only thing different with my speakers compared to the regular speakers. Oh... and my TLC that has been added.

oh wow. what a coincidence. stefano's design is a tad bigger and has port that has valve so he can switch between sealed and ported. anyway, very nice im pretty sure that its more rigid a than a conventional design. keep us posted.

*here are some photos of his speakers.
60345912_10218841061200293_6006904104423522304_o.jpg

62605001_10219046738462096_763883607453335552_o.jpg

oh wow. what a coincidence. stefano's design is a tad bigger and has port that has valve so he can switch between sealed and ported. anyway, very nice im pretty sure that its more rigid a than a conventional design. keep us posted.

*here are some photos of his speakers.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Wow! It is very similar to what I am building. I'm curious as to what his specs are. My specs are 33" tall, 14" wide and 17" long and the material is Baltic birchwood. And how does the valve work? Does he have something that he uses to plug the front port to seal it? I'm thinking about using thin sheets of metal in my ports with the ability to move the sheets from side to side, and up and down. Kind of like the vents in a car where you can control the directions of the airflow and seal off the air if you chose to. Again, this is just a thought. This is one of the things I will soon be testing. I'm interested in knowing how my being able to control the direction of the airflow will affect the speaker. Nonetheless, I'm extremely pleased with the sound and the wife loves them too. Cant wait till Im done.

Last edited:
the Eclipse

Compared to the other systems posted here, this is quite a humble one. My impression, however, is that this is a good design with the main limitations being not very flat frequency response and the need to listen to them about no more than 2 meters distant if the reproduction is going to be loud enough for the satisfaction of most listeners.

Besides the two photos, I'm attaching a write up on my design explaining what I wanted to achieve, how I arrived at the design, and a construction plan. There is a 12 inch ruler next to the speaker in the two photos to give an idea of the size of the speaker.

Regards,
Pete

:cop: Moderation note... it has been brought to our attention that the attachments in this post have some inaccuracies and consequently the OP would like you to read the revised write up and new file attachement in post #4340

Revised posting and files are here

Attachments

• Eclipse-Photo1.jpg
    Eclipse-Photo1.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 720
  • Eclipse-Photo2.jpg
    Eclipse-Photo2.jpg
    808.6 KB · Views: 270
  • Ecliipse-converted.pdf
    148.2 KB · Views: 98
Compared to the other systems posted here, this is quite a humble one. My impression, however, is that this is a good design with the main limitations being not very flat frequency response and the need to listen to them about no more than 2 meters distant if the reproduction is going to be loud enough for the satisfaction of most listeners.

Besides the two photos, I'm attaching a write up on my design explaining what I wanted to achieve, how I arrived at the design, and a construction plan. There is a 12 inch ruler next to the speaker in the two photos to give an idea of the size of the speaker.

Regards,
Pete

And I can offer my similar models system and with a very even frequency response.

SWR 145A FI box.png

And I can offer my similar models system and with a very even frequency response.

View attachment 794979

What is the size,Xmax, and manufacturer of the driver of your system ? What is f3 of your system? Does it have the same problem as the Eclipse in not being able to reproduce very loudly? What is the vent area of your system? If the vent area is small, this produces distortion by way of power compression.

Your system certainly does have a better appearance than the Eclipse that I built, but of course that is just a matter of the skill and tools that the builder has.

The data sheet for the driver of my system, Newark 55-1853, has a dip in its response from 3 kHz to 10 kHz which is why I say that the frequency response of the system must not be very flat. Possibly that defect is made up for by the fact that it has a f3 of 55 Hz?

Regards,
Pete

attachment to my post #4325

For anyone taking a look at the attached article, "The Eclipse- A Full Range, Single Driver Loudspeaker System", let me add that the dimensions of the three drawings of the article are inches.

Also the article is copyright 2019.

Not having posted much here recently, I forgot that I have only 30 minutes to edit. Otherwise I would have made the above additions to the article.

-Pete

Just a black box

I needed a keyboard monitor for small venues and didn't want to spend a fortune so came up the this simple design.

It's only a 10watt Tripath TA2024 amplifier but the Visaton BG20 Fullrange is 93db W/m so it plays plenty loud enough for what I need and works happily powered by 8 AA batteries.

I haven't measured the frequency response, WINISD put the f3 at 44Hz and f6 at 38Hz in this 72l box and it certainly has a very pleasant sounding and controlled bass response.
High frequencies could be smoother but as it mostly plays piano it's not of great concern.
It performs much better than it ought to at this price, so I'm very pleased.

Attachments

• speaker-2-Edit.jpg
    speaker-2-Edit.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 282
  • speaker-1-Edit.jpg
    speaker-1-Edit.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 274
  • speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 288
What is the size,Xmax, and manufacturer of the driver of your system ? What is f3 of your system? Does it have the same problem as the Eclipse in not being able to reproduce very loudly? What is the vent area of your system? If the vent area is small, this produces distortion by way of power compression.

Your system certainly does have a better appearance than the Eclipse that I built, but of course that is just a matter of the skill and tools that the builder has.

The data sheet for the driver of my system, Newark 55-1853, has a dip in its response from 3 kHz to 10 kHz which is why I say that the frequency response of the system must not be very flat. Possibly that defect is made up for by the fact that it has a f3 of 55 Hz?

Regards,
Pete
These are the drivers of the SONIDO SWR 145/A, the monitors are my design, they work from 60 Hz. And there is another option with a bass refflex.
I quote the review of the one who built the monitor:
"Acoustics plays great! The tonal balance is even, the bass is super! "

I have been looking forward to posting my own project here for quite some time, it's now finally ready.

Alpair 10.3 in sealed top parts + active bass reflex bottom parts with Ground Zero 250X 10" drivers.

-5db notch filter between 5-15kHz

Goes down to 15hz -3db.

Birch ply with Black 2.0 surface coat on sides.

Nice build indeed! I still like my ml-tqwt / alpair 10.3 speakers. Definitely no need for subwoofer. Notch filter was my opinion too but I wanted to avoid any passive components.
Highs does have some "metallic" harshness around 8-10kHz but I'm using active EQ to fix it. There are some claims that harshness will go away after 100's hours of "burn in" but its just not possible in reality.

Good drivers overall, very clean mids and amazing smooth but fast bass down to 40Hz in tqwt enclosure. Perfect integration. Walls are shaking with these little buggers! There is dip at 300Hz tho.. propably reflection from the floor or standing wave inside the enclosure.

Last edited:
Jose,
I listen to Jazz, blues, rock, pop, folk, classical even electronic sometimes. You have to remember the actual cone diameter is 4 inches, power handling is 30 watts so no concert levels. Still do pretty well in my 20 X 14 X 8.5 foot room on 5-10 watts. And of course the seamless magic mid-range keeps me coming back, this is my third pair!

Larry

This is an old 3D Printed cabinet I made for the Dayton PS95

It is a 3.3L Vented cabinet where the port is part of the cabinet. The cabinet is 2 parts with the back being separate and glued on. Internally it also has a cross brace.

It is the cabinet that I am using as a reference against my 3D Printed speaker driver. This white 3D printed cabinet took 29 hours but my new cabinets with my improved printer design has got these cabinets down to 12 hours.

Paul

How did you decide to go with 3.3L?
Currently knocking up my own enclosure for 3D printing and really having a ‘fun’ time trying to figure out the rules of thumb and the math needed to do it ‘correctly’.....nothing I do comes up with a 3.3L for the Daytona, the smallest calculations I figure are double that volume!

the Eclipse once again

Attached to this post is my revised write-up concerning the design and build of my Eclipse. This includes some corrections and additions, so if anyone is interested in my design, this revised write-up is better to look at/ download than the original one that is attached to my post # 4325 in this thread (full-range speaker photo gallery).

The attached write-up might also be helpful to anyone designing a vented system using simulation software.

The attached eclipse-revised.pdf is titled "The Eclipse- A Full Range, Single Driver Loudspeaker System".

Regards,
Pete

Attachments

• Eclipse-Photo2.jpg
    Eclipse-Photo2.jpg
    808.6 KB · Views: 285
  • Ecliipse-revised.pdf
    149.2 KB · Views: 139