Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Based on xrk971 design: Folded bookshelf MLTL with Vifa.
I built a plain foamcore pair a couple of years ago, and they have served well on my office desk. Now I thought I should build another pair, with a bit more effort put in to their looks.
Many thanks to xrk971

Attachments

• 20190127_191615.jpg
    20190127_191615.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 1,802
  • 20190127_200413.jpg
    20190127_200413.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 1,760
well, I remember reading somewhere that if you sit at least 2m away, most full range driver line arrays have no issues with combing so perhaps it’s the same with this ?

I found this photo on the ‘net so I have no data about it and no idea if anybody heard one or made anything like it. Sure looks easy, a nice slab of wood and a bunch of pocket sized drivers. Biggest hassle is wiring them up!

FR88ex in BR/ML-TL hybrid enclosures designed by Planet 10

FR88ex in BR/ML-TL hybrid enclosures designed by Planet 10. I built these for the sons of a friend, with partial chamfer instead of the original full chamfer. Veneered in mahogany with dark chocolate stain, satin varnish (i.e. regular varnish sanded with steel wool) and weathered edges (i.e. beaten up and irregularly sanded so they look like they've been used for a century or so). The other pair was simply finished in Danish oil (mahogany doesn't need much to look beautiful) and the third pair (mine) is still waiting to be finished properly.

Overall, the build is nothing to write home about but the fact that a musicologist (one of my friend's son) still use them is a testament to the great combined designs of Fountek and Planet10. Plus it's kind of weird to see speakers you've built featured in a TV news segment several years later.

P.S.: I would not recommend partial chamfer if you plan to finish your speakers with veneer. It's really a pain in the bottom cavity to apply veneer properly on these surfaces.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
P.S. bis: I can't find the "Pictures & Albums" link in my profile so the pictures are displayed properly. Maybe I read too much and don't post enough to have access to this feature.

Last edited:
FR88ex in BR/ML-TL hybrid enclosures designed by Planet 10. I built these for the sons of a friend, with partial chamfer instead of the original full chamfer. Veneered in mahogany with dark chocolate stain, satin varnish (i.e. regular varnish sanded with steel wool) and weathered edges (i.e. beaten up and irregularly sanded so they look like they've been used for a century or so). The other pair was simply finished in Danish oil (mahogany doesn't need much to look beautiful) and the third pair (mine) is still waiting to be finished properly.

Overall, the build is nothing to write home about but the fact that a musicologist (one of my friend's son) still use them is a testament to the great combined designs of Fountek and Planet10. Plus it's kind of weird to see speakers you've built featured in a TV news segment several years later.

P.S.: I would not recommend partial chamfer if you plan to finish your speakers with veneer. It's really a pain in the bottom cavity to apply veneer properly on these surfaces.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
P.S. bis: I can't find the "Pictures & Albums" link in my profile so the pictures are displayed properly. Maybe I read too much and don't post enough to have access to this feature.
Here is the picture, hopefully visible for everyone:
Shared album - Eurbaix - Google Photos

And just to be sure, you can also see them (very briefly) in the CBC news segment at 0:46 here:
How streaming is changing the way music is made | CBC News

Yep, I know not the ideal enclosure for the big Fostex's but at the right volume they are very pleasant to my ear, but hey, I'm the guy that likes the CHN-70's:)
I think the Pensil 10p's will be hard to beat, but I'm thinking it will be fun to keep trying (I have CHR-70's and Alpair 10M.3 for some future projects).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A re-post of an amazing baffle-less open baffle system by member TrasnsFi over in Lencoheaven:

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=31371.0

HnHw1fU.jpg

Very nice work and superb looking system. The PRV 5MR450NDY seems to be the weapon of choice. If you want to learn more about this under-utilized 95dB fullrange posing as a midrange PA driver, more info here.