Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thanks for the kind words and amp suggestions. After free handing the first rebate, I thought, if I do more than one of these I oughta build a jig!
I'll have to look into those amps. Right now I'm working on a TDA7297 to replace the Lepai in my traveling rig. My brother thinks he wants a little Chi-Fi tube amp to pair with his uFonkens but I'll relay your suggestions.
Good to see another South Carolinian here, Poultrygeist!
Doug

Baffle with DY1026-U

Hello Fellows!

Here is a new project from me.
A baffle features the Rockwood DY1026-U and a tweeter from Visaton TW6NG. Sounds really good!

Pit

Attachments

• P_20180124_211352.jpg
    P_20180124_211352.jpg
    961.3 KB · Views: 2,169
  • P_20180124_211339.jpg
    P_20180124_211339.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 2,135
Here's my current desktop speakers, Tangband W4-657SC in 5,5 liter reflex enclosure tuned to 65hz. Optimal box could be smaller and tuned higher, but I wanted to extend the low end response a bit. Made from 18mm MDF and painted with white rubber coat, nice and different finish but hard to keep clean cause dust sticks to it.

Source is PC -> nuforce DAC -> DIY TDA7375

Needed to document this because nearly the whole system is getting an update [emoji6]

20180205_162848.jpg 20180205_162909.jpg 20180205_162922.jpg

A few years ago I picked up what was left from a pair of TQWT speakers I have given to my oldest son. The nice Fostex TW15 tweeters were burned, propably due to amplifier clipping, and the bas/midrange - Fostex FE164 - were OK but the cones were slowly loosing from the chassis (bad glue?). I managed to glue the cones back and didn't want the drivers lying around and eventually selfdestruct, so I bought some boards of spruce, run som simple calculations using online software and came up with a pair of ... well ... :eek:.
Did just make the final installations (some kind of filling, cheap terminals and drivers) in order to use them tomorrow with my other speakers, when the HiFi-guys are coming.

Nothing fancy. Haven't even sanded them nor painted/tinted/oiled/waxed them, but they sound OK.

Attachments

• IMG_4804.JPG
    IMG_4804.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 956
I managed to find Alpair 7.3's from CSS and with help of Dave at Planet 10 who designed the internal "holey braces", I built two more pairs of columns that I'm really happy with. They vent to the rear via 4 rectangular vents. ]

Attachments

• JohnLake-A7-Tower1.jpg
    JohnLake-A7-Tower1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,559
  • JohnLake-A7-Tower2.jpg
    JohnLake-A7-Tower2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,562
A few years ago I picked up what was left from a pair of TQWT speakers I have given to my oldest son. The nice Fostex TW15 tweeters were burned, probably due to amplifier clipping, and the bass/midrange - Fostex FE164 - were OK but the cones were slowly loosing from the chassis (bad glue?). I managed to glue the cones back and didn't want the drivers lying around and eventually self-destruct, so I bought some boards of spruce, run some simple calculations using online software and came up with a pair of ... well ... :eek:.
Did just make the final installations (some kind of filling, cheap terminals, and drivers) in order to use them tomorrow with my other speakers, when the HiFi-guys are coming.

Nothing fancy. Haven't even sanded them nor painted/tinted/oiled/waxed them, but they sound OK.

So, Magnus, the single full-range driver bug has struck you again?

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

I finally got some 25-50W klass D amps up and running to use with new speakers and made the last adjustments to the pair of un-orthodox 2-way speakers.
When looking at the X-overs and the costs of the X-over componets, I 'd rather stick to full-range speakers.

You don't need xover components and all the nasty things they do, you can disappear down the rePhase rabbit hole instead

I managed to find Alpair 7.3's from CSS and with help of Dave at Planet 10 who designed the internal "holey braces", I built two more pairs of columns that I'm really happy with. They vent to the rear via 4 rectangular vents. ]
Prior to using the Alpairs, I had tried some Tang Band W4-1879's but they got a bit pricey when the $ took a turn a couple of years ago. The Alpairs are sweet though and I'm keen on Trying the 10.3's. I guess that's another thread seeing as this is a photo gallery.