Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Very nice shape. Marvelous. Bravo!!!

Sorta ruined by sandwiching it between the 2 monkey coffin bass boxes … there is your next project...dave

One of the most beautifully sculpted DIY speakers I have seen. That is great craftsmanship. This is just my opinion, buy you might want to rethink the bass boxes, maybe use smaller woofers in elongated cabinets. But, that is just me agreeing with Dave and nitpicking. Those mid enclosures are worthy of being displayed in an art gallery.

... monkey coffin bass...

The next project is already designed.
See renderings:

linarray4_151132_1.JPG linarray4_151132_2.JPG
linarray4_151132_3.JPG linarray4_151132_4.JPG

Dave, what better drivers you would suggest?

MDF:
Five 19mm panels bonded to a block before machining.
The spherical geometry gives much more stiffnes compared to plane panels.

Plywood gives only as a plane panel better stiffnes compared to MDF.

Guangui, i have played with 4x 8" and 8x 6", but the 2x12" (peerless SLS12) turns out to have the most relaxed bass. 80 liters closed cabinet for each of them and +6dB at 35Hz on the active crossover. Each driver is connected to a 120W@8ohm Amp. (from old ONKYO dolby digital receiver) The Bass Amp is also a running project in Class-D...

Hope you like the new monkey coffins...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
James Watt,
Beautiful design on your 4 driver array. The TC9 is a nice driver and you might try the TG9FD10-8 (flatter response and sounds almost as good as a $100 SS 10F/8424) if interested in a nicer detail from a fiberglass driver. The acoustic trap shape works very well as I found in my Dagger and Nautaloss builds. It helps to use denser stuffing at the rear vertex and progressively use looser stuffing as you get closer to the driver. MDF should work fine - don't think energy storage on MDF is bad - actually quite absorbent as materials go. BB may be more dense but shifts storage to higher frequencies where you don't want it.

First pf two simple PC speakers finished. The second has to be rewired a bit.
Drivers used are cheap Monacor 3" (approx $8 each).

A shop sold the orange spray paint cheaply and the green tint are some residue from early bronze age.

No calculations or simulations has be made at all, as the speakers are "just for fun" and to be used with my PC.

Attachments

• IMG_6860.JPG
    IMG_6860.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 1,616
  • IMG_6861.JPG
    IMG_6861.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 1,531
  • IMG_6863.JPG
    IMG_6863.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 1,454
I am more into tube amps where I want chassis colors to be non-standard (non-black/red/silver). The feet was propably intended for something else, but as the front is larger than the rest of the box, I needed them.
The drivers were also aimed for a Tv-speaker for our LED-TV, but I dropped that project and ended up with four drivers.
The drivers btw are Monacor SP-8/4SQ (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/ProductData/Manuals/55-4596.pdf)

BK12s - Veneered with ribbon stripe mahogany. They were my introduction into full range (and veneering).

While I really liked the midrange of the Fostex FE126En, I got the itch to try something different. And picked up a FH3 flatpack and Alpair 7.3eNs from Planet10 (thanks again, Dave).

I finally got around to veneering the FH3s. Eucalyptus with satin poly.

They serve double duty for music and HT, so powered by an Onkyo receiver and paired with a Dayton 12HO sub. I really love the Alpairs and FH3s. In my room I get response down to 30hz at my seating position with them run full range.