Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Chris,

Both drivers are driven full range and wired in series.

I did query with Scottmoose whether it would be worth running the lower driver as a bass unit with the upper full range as he suggests on some of his Woden designs for twin MA drivers but he advised against it, and who am I to argue.

The only downside to this design is the need to drive the speakers with little more power than my 7W 300b SE amps can deliver but with this amp they still sound rather good (well better than good) but, they simply sound stunning with my GM70 SE monoblocs. But then they would with having 35W SET on tap, hey.

However the exercise was to make a good sounding speaker for SS amplification and with a old Rotel 25W SS amp they are very good indeed. Bass with the SS amp is a little tighter as one would expect but they loose a little of the SET magic.

My mate Chris (Stratmangler) is coming over later in the week with his NAD SS amp - which is far better than the Rotel - so I am expecting better things with this amp.

Thought I'd share my latest build.

My Son and his grilfriend have just moved into a apartment and set up house together so he needed a new pair of speakers. As he has most (if not all) his music stored on his Mac I needed a speaker more suited to SS amplification and decided as I had 2-pr the MA A10 driver going spare a nice Fonken-Style floorstander type cabinet would be ideal. This driver suits better the type of music my Son listens to over the Fostex FE167eN that was my second choice driver.

So after talking with DaveD (Planet10) they are based on 2 Mar-Kel10, stacked and merged into a single volume. Adjusted the spacing of the slots, and merged some together (merging the 6 slots/side into 4 slots). Stuck onto a false base. They are skinned in Oak veneer.

I must say they sound really good indeed with powerful solid bass and good transiant attack. Not sure if DaveD will be featuring this design as part of his Plans offerings. We'll have to wait and see but they are that good I'm loathe to part with them this coming weekend.

They look fab! :)

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Don,
Bass shy these are certainly not and this was a design brief from my son, but the MA drivers do require about half the internal cabinet volume that the Fostex FE167 requires hence they are based on 2 Mar-kel10 married into one cabinet to give me a similar sized floorstander as the original FE167 Fonkens.

I also have built the original FE167eN floorstanders and (I think) was one of the beta test builds. They are a very nice speaker but to my ears the bass though tight and accurate lacks a little depth in comparison. I also find they are improved with a supertweeter cutting in at around 10K. But some folks differ and prefer them without. And I was not about to pass these on to my son as I like them too much. The wife also loves them. Below is a photo of my original build fonken floorstanders with the FE167eN.

Attachments

• 167Fonken10.jpg
    167Fonken10.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 3,011
Yup, those are they!
My previous speakers were a pair of "Frugel-Horns", which I liked a lot, but found that (for me) they req'd a sub, which my wife disliked "another black box"??.
The Fonkens make the sub expendable, but your build has me intrigued!!
My 60 something ears probably wouldn't benefit from a super tweeter, but---
Again nice job!
Don
(I may figure how to post pics one day!)

Nicely built Fonkens there Don.

I too am just turned 60, but do find I can detect the difference in sound from my FE167 ENABLed Fonkens with T90A supertweeters via a L-Pad and 1.5uF cap and without. It just adds extra ambiance and air to the mix and higher frequencies and strangely reinforces the bass. Perhaps younger ears would find it too much but as we get older any help in the HF is appreciated. at least by me anyway. You have to do the experiment to convince yourself it is not just snake-oil talk. They really do add something to the mix, especially with the FE167e drivers that starts to fall off at 10KHz. I know DaveD (Planet10) however, doesn't find the need for the supertweeter with his FE167 Fonkens. Perhaps it's a European thing;)

Nicely built Fonkens there Don.

I too am just turned 60, but do find I can detect the difference in sound from my FE167 ENABLed Fonkens with T90A supertweeters via a L-Pad and 1.5uF cap and without. It just adds extra ambiance and air to the mix and higher frequencies and strangely reinforces the bass. Perhaps younger ears would find it too much but as we get older any help in the HF is appreciated. at least by me anyway. You have to do the experiment to convince yourself it is not just snake-oil talk. They really do add something to the mix, especially with the FE167e drivers that starts to fall off at 10KHz. I know DaveD (Planet10) however, doesn't find the need for the supertweeter with his FE167 Fonkens. Perhaps it's a European thing;)

Hi Toppsy

I'm thirty something, and have a pair of Brines 1600MKII with FE167Es drivers. I find I'm hankering after a touch more top end sparkle. I would like a pair of T90As but they are a bit more than I want to spend at the moment, so I'm probably going to buy a pair of FT17Hs instead.

Hi there!

Just for fun,after building cyburg´s viech with the beyma 8ag/n,I felt I would have a go with a smaller enclosure,so I built a 45liter bass reflex enclosure(another scattered tip from cyburg collected from several forums),box dimensions calculated with some software I no longer recall,specifically for these drivers.

They´re in prototype shape,and the back is being held in place by screws,so that I can still fine tune it regarding bracing and damping.

All in all,they have a warmer sound than in viech guise,and they are quite nice to listen too!They have a bit more bass,but still,it´s no bass freak.
I mean,it´s no party PA,but sounds very delicate,with enough bass for me!

mdf cost was about 15 euros,and since I wanted to try something unpretensious,I gave it a go at 10mm mdf.I know it´s too thin... :p

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Here are some small speakers I built based on the Dayton DN90:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/172608-full-circle-desktop-nd90-speaker-build.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Semisentient those loudspeakers look absolutely delicious! :D
how did you get them to look so glossy?great finishing man!

my diy looks terrible by comparison... lol

By the way,anybody here can tell me if midband coloration is due to very thin mdf panels and the
lack of internal bracing?

I removed the bass reflex port with about 10cms long,and the bass got much richer and goes
considerably lower than before!

Attachments

• img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 458
  • img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Semisentient those loudspeakers look absolutely delicious! :D
how did you get them to look so glossy?great finishing man!

my diy looks terrible by comparison... lol

Thanks

I did a lot of sanding.. priming... sanding... spraying... not being happy... sanding.. priming... sanding... spraying... not being happy.

Then I decided to try an epoxy appliance paint that comes in an aerosol can. It worked pretty well, but would spit out drops along with the spray. The picture didn't pick up the imperfections. I may do a wet sand in a while to buff out the imperfections.

In all honesty, I should have made the speakers from some nice hardwood, or veneered them. Would have been easier for sure. At least now I can appreciate how hard it is to get a nice glossy paint finish. That said, I am pretty happy with how they look.

If you spend the amount of time as I did on your finish, yours would look awesome I am sure!

Here some pictures of my system based on the Tangband W3-871s units. This unit is made in MDF 19 mm. It has a Notch filter (L1 0.56 mH - C1 6,8 uF - R1 6,8 Ohm) like "Lancetta" project. Totally white like amp and pre (Gainclone 3886 + Bride of Zen "Pass"). The sound is good!!!

Attachments

• Monovia_1.jpg
    Monovia_1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 782
  • Monovia_2.jpg
    Monovia_2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 943
  • Monovia_3.jpg
    Monovia_3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Finale_e_pre.jpg
    Finale_e_pre.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 947
Thanks for appreciation Navin, the semplicity is my target. Whoever said that HiFi should be black? I think music is white, compound of all notes, like colour. Silent ìs black...
I have also built an active Subwoofer in the same look for help the lower freq. I will send some pictures in the future...
My source are different: CD Yamaha CDX 530E (evergreen), Phono Turntable Dual CS503, for video Kiss 450 and sometime Ipod touch in a dock.