Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

I had some problems to place my lancettas in the room. The only possible area for the right speaker was kind of behind the fireplace (image). In that position the bass were totally put out when the speakers played in phase. If playing off phase the bass were there but the higher frequencies sounded strange. Then, after walking around in the room with the speakers without finding any good spots, I looked upp in the ceiling and decided to try that position. I mounted them temporary like this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The result was fantastic and I decided to put them there permanently.
Now the only obstacle was to persuade my girlfriend to hang up the speakers in the ceiling. I knew there was no idea just asking her if I could put them there so I decided a different approach. I suggested a nice baldachin with some spotlights to light up her paintings on the wall. She liked the idea alot and even after I mumbling something about maybe put some small speakers in it she was on :)
This is the result.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yes I know I promised her spotlights but there will be time for that later on :)

Hi h@kan,

i think you should keep your promise as soon as possible,
because nobody likes to be kidded ... ;)

But i see the intergration of the speakers is very felicitous.
Looks good, and as you said, it was the best place for listening
too.

I just wonder a bit, why you did not tilt your fullrangers
downwards a little, to get some more brillance at the
listening position.

Cheers

LineArray said:
I just wonder a bit, why you did not tilt your fullrangers
downwards a little, to get some more brillance at the
listening position.

Cheers [/B]

I tried different angles but from my listening position I could'nt really hear any improvement when mounted tilted. I guess the position in the ceiling is not optimal for the the higher frequencies but overall this was the best possible position.

Regards H@kan

Mijknarf said:
Yes, I made these exactly to Bob's plans which are very thorough. The black baffles on the front are more for than just looks, they serve to double the thickness of the driver mount area. The cabinets are as solid as I've seen and weigh close to 70 pounds each. Thanks for the feedback, here's another picture:

Mr. knarf,

Could you please tell us more about the SET amp visible in the bottom left ? Is that a commercial 845 offering? Looks a bit like a Kaylin I saw in pictures somewhere but that used a pair of 300B tubes and octals like 6SN7's IIRC.

Nice job on the speakers.

My small gallery

BLH , Fostex FE 206 E (with phase plug)

BVR , Fostex FE 207 E (with phase plug)

Frugel-Horn , 5" drivers "Sofaital"(made in France) and tweeters "HAES"(made in Hungary)

Old project

TL , Visaton BG 20

TL , Visaton BG 20

My cat is a big fan of my projects. :blackcat: :)

are the bulgarian the best woodworkers ?

Superb gallery !

Seeing your work, I was wondering if there is a tradition of craftmanship in the field of audio in Bulgaria ?!

Indeed I remember various posts of bulgarian builders, particulary the one using ETHER drivers and all there enclosures were beautifully crafted.

Anyway congratulation for your work, that I suppose sound very good !

Christmas Present

My father asked for some small speakers for his office/retreat so he can hole up and listen to some tunes in there.

Thanks to Godzilla who keeps the plans for these little BRs on his website. Some scrap birch plywood, oak veneer and some old 40-1197 drivers and I'm done.

They sound real nice for the small amount of work they represent.

Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• p1020174.jpg
    p1020174.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 2,625
I tried to post this on the BAF thread -- sometimes the pix don't come up --

This is a Metronome which we used as a demo for a trade show as an example of a large, somewhat complex cuboid which could be powder-coated -- we made 4 of them and they sit in the offices -- the point was the complex CNC cuts and the even and smooth finish -- certainly not the sound in a physical space larger than an aircraft carrier -- in the office environment they sound wonderful:

LineArray said:

If i understand you right, you "misused" a cabinet built
for different purposes as a quarter wave cabinet ?

There is a Metronome project on DIYAUDIO -- it's Steve and Dave's project -- I'm not in the business of building speaker cabinets. We figured that a speaker would attract more traffic at the trade show than a bedpan, and a year ago started up a conversation with a couple of folks on this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85410&highlight=

h@kan said:
Is the coloring part of the powder-coating process or is it painted after the coating? I would love to see some close up pics. They sure looks fancy!

Regards H@kan

The pigment is incorporated into the cocktail. Black is most likely carbon black. The gloss, hardness and surface texture are designed in by a bunch of chemists. To be economic, it has to be a one-pass system.

first project complete planet-10 FR125s aperiodic

So one year after i thought about building a single driver speaker, i finally knuckled down and completed my first simple project.
Thanks to Planet-10 for the plans and this forum for plenty to read.
These guys are going to be great for picnics.
I fell asleep listening to these the other day, what an odd experience.
I can see why people get addicted to full ranger speakers.

I've got them running off a Sure electronics tri-path amp from a 12V 7.5ah AGM battery.

mat_picnic-1.jpg

mat_picnic-2.jpg

Next, i have 5 pairs of Apple pro speakers with the Foster drivers......Any idea's
what to do with 5 pairs of these?