Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Does anyone eq their full ranges? Mine use helper tweeters, and are highpassed at line level to a sub, so its been pointed out to me they aren't really full range speakers.
Now I've settled on reversing polarity to the second order highpassed tweeters, I find the sound has a lot less sibilants, and a glare in some high pitched vocals after equalizing.
For digital sources like streaming, through a couple of different DACs, or an AVR for TV shows or movies.
With a few different phono stages and cartridge combinations, these colorations don't seem to show up.
Anyone else find this happening with different sources?
I'm not saying the different phono playback combinations all sound the same; my meaning is the different sounds aren't egregious.

20240331_115338.jpg

Screenshot_20240331_115125_WiiM Home.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I found a pair of favored, and just lightly used, Fostex FE108EZ 4" full range drivers and bought them. I've begun expansion of the Nest Music Theater to 5.1.2 and need ear-level surrounds. I built a pair of ~5 liter miniOnkens from 15mm Baltic birch remnants from prior builds. These keen tiny full range speakers are awesome from 70Hz-15KHz, despite perfection requiring a much larger horn or transmission line cabinet (which'd be inappropriate for the surrounds locations). The full build & 5.1.2 story is HERE if you wanna wade it.
View attachment 1293135
Wow high-fidelity surrounds. I got pretty good bass extension from the FE108eΣ in my 6L TLonken (made for another driver) -- just a cab like yours with an L-shaped divider behind/below the driver like an angled seat, then another horizontal divider, forming a highly-tapered/stepped TL line. (Reinforced cardboard.)

Does anyone eq their full ranges? Mine use helper tweeters, and are highpassed at line level to a sub, so its been pointed out to me they aren't really full range speakers.
Nest Theater.jpg
Yep, even back when the Nest was 2.1. I didn't "need" the super-tweeters either really - but prefer the fill for cymbals and the like. I don't use crossovers though and drive with a SET for even lesser use of feedback. And, I didn't really need the sub either, but they are very nice when cut in well ~ one must keep it subtle and tight, IMO. Not many full range drivers will get down to 10Hz. I even (gasp) use DSP on the back loaded horns to reduce the shout from Fostex FE168EZ and correct for my smallish room. All that said, I can defeat each of these things and still get killer sound raw from just my BLHs, even from vinyl. However, I don't prefer that.
Anyone else find this happening with different sources?
I use 3 primary sources: digital (mostly higher rez FLAC) YouTube (Opus), and vinyl. I've tried to optimize EQ for each medium and for me there is not much difference, so I've blown it off; "it's not egregious." I have not rolled phono cartridges. For me the EQ is more about the drivers/enclosures and the room than the source medium. Yet, if the source sucks, you can't EQ in goodness anyway. I do find that my minagere of gear requires I use a delay injector to correct for the differences in processing time spent in pieces on different audio paths (only digital realm stuff). I even have a path now sending vinyl through a (gasp) pro A>D to compare its naked playing to one EQed. Maybe I should just dump the vinyl as the digital always wins bakeoffs, for me and guests.

After replacing them as fronts, after a few weeks of non use I put my Mark Audio 12P pair in as surrounds in my AV system.
I was really surprised how much more goes on there than I had thought.
Wow high-fidelity surrounds.
Yes. I agree there is goodness in the center, back, and above ~ whether derived from 2 ch or discrete multi-ch. While I strongly favor single driver, dynamic, full range speakers in all those spots, I will vary the designs to meet space and location needs, but all are/will be full range hifi made from scratch.

Reactions: 1 user
As that suggests to me the frame is assembled in several layers (bezel/mounting bracket, motor support frame, motor/magnet assembly), perhaps you mean collapsible?
Anyways, enough pedantry for now.
Yes. I'm almost gave up, the most expensive part is magnet structure, to be honest I;m getting trouble finding the right material with less than 0.15% carbon, Armco might be ideal but hard to get in my country, looking curently for something not soo expensive but with less than 0.2% C

2024-03-28_220116.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

started as a test for a question in this forum about the interaction of a front loaded horn as waveguide for a fullrange speaker with a whizzer cone

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...how-does-that-work-with-whizzer-cones.410910/

i think i will keep it for a while for my home office room

FAST-HO-Capture.JPG

Fullrange and subwoofer technology

21 inch chassis with almost no baffle needs massive PEQ for bass

the waveguide makes a problem with a dip at 5 kHz on axis that goes away off axis

BW4 250 Hz with miniDSP 2X4 HD and PEQ for FR linearization measured about 30 degree off axis CLIO pocket measurement plot

microphone distance about 50 cm - 20 inch

FAST-HO-SPL-Capture.JPG

My foot-of-bed diystudio. Up-firing vintage Alnico 8" over stylish trashcan. The waveguide (tissue roll center) really flattens out mid-hi response and widens directivity; tonality is just right. Image floats midair beyond speakers/wall. Really no complaints, difficult to turn off music. (1st-gen Huawei P10plus streaming Baidu cloud, my EAC-rip/hdtracks/etc multi-T library. Ancient iPadPro records nicely too. OCC interconnect a must. TPA3221-on-steroids. Close enough to my earlier "retreat" system: highly tweaked musicPC/fb2k, Chord Hugo, Bel Canto, Monitor Audio Studio etc.)

IMG_20240413_124936.jpg

IMG_20240413_122606.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
It IS pretty great when you get things right for your own tastes. Today I'm back to a modest 6SN7 based linestage, with a 12AX7 based phonostage, both with non exotic Raytheon tubes, along with a little NOS DAC.
Serendipity allows me to set aside the tweeters I had helping my 12" single driver speakers.
Some audio friends are telling me I need more treble extension, but I like it.
The music isn't so much launched at me; it just slides open the door and invites me in. Free at last.
20240413_144019.jpg

Nice room - love the choice of displayed vinyl covers :)

Here is my Fostex FE167e Chilli Chang build.... Driven off my DIY Son of Xen (Son of Zen v6). (The SoX is another post altogether!)

Spectacular sound. Beautifully, subtlely extended in the low end and prefectly balanced throughout. Very little Fostex shout thank you!
Using super-tweeters as well now on top of the cabinets (not shown in the pics). There is no identifiable sweet-spot in the room - sounds fantastic wherever you are which was my intention.

So glad I had these drivers to re-purpose from an old t-line build - and run-in, too... they're are like hen's teeth now!

Attachments

• DSC_0039[1].JPG
    DSC_0039[1].JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0041[1].JPG
    DSC_0041[1].JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0049[1].JPG
    DSC_0049[1].JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0052[1].JPG
    DSC_0052[1].JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0105[1].JPG
    DSC_0105[1].JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 39
Hello all. I'm awaiting delivery for a matching to my stereo pair open baffle bass panel. In the meanwhile, I'm trying out an Energy sub. It's in use with an external plate amp, since its og one's transformer burned up.
Since I don't know if its stock amp has eq built in to assist its port, I used my plate amp eq for a wide Q cut at -14db at 20 hertz, as its rated down to 32 hz or so.
Bass is more nuanced (nimble?) with this, especially bass guitar, acoustic and electric.
Using the vertical and longest horizontal lengths of my living room, I calculated the longest hypotenuse to get the longest axis for the longest bass wavelength which fits without being crumpled, and I get 43hz.
So I kept the Q the same and raised the cutoff frequency to about 28 hz.
Another improvement in clarity, although with some Sci fi movies, deep rumbles or fx are lessened noticeably.
So my room will support bass below the length of the longest wavelength which fits, but more as pressure than a recognizable soundwave?
I have no way of getting a graph of this.
Has anyone here done this?
20240415_102338.jpg