Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2018, 11:08 AM   #4031
Steve Cresswell is offline Steve Cresswell  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeHiFiNut View Post
Hi Steve - How are the Fanes holding up over the long haul?

I've got a pair on the way and plan to try them in a pair of JE Labs OBs I've got that take 12" drivers.

Has anyone else tried the Fane Sovereign 12-250 TC in an OB?
Hi, have not dropped in on this thread for a while, but the Fanes are holding up very well. They have become an integral and familiar part of my particular audio soundscape. They play music, purely and simply. To my ears they get on with the job with no fuss, favoring no one genre over any other. They work equally well with both my low powered SE tube amp, and my 60W solid state power amp. I can't now, imagine audio life without them.

In hi-fi terms, as they have loosened up over the four months they have been in the system, the bass has become a bit more extended.

Being a high efficiency driver, fitted into what I would term a reasonably sized 80 Litre sealed cab, they are never going to generate room-shaking LF, but cabs against the wall, bass is even, tight, detailed and completely free of any kind of murk or boom.

The overall presentation is rich, dynamic, forward of the speakers, but never too 'in your face' shrill or nasty. They tend to tell you what's right about your music, rather than throwing faults into your lap. As such they are very easy to live with and provide a sympathetic window into your music collection.

I've not heard them in baffles, but one or two people I've spoken to are considering building baffles for them.

Last edited by Steve Cresswell; 22nd September 2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:07 PM   #4032
jdunham is offline jdunham  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Its a long time since I posted here, but here are my current office system speakers. Jordan Eikona in original Blue Room Minipod cabinets. Amazingly they fit perfectly with no mods needed! So obviously the tweeter has been blanked off and the port too, so they are now sealed and roll off at around 70hz. Perfectly low enough to get good integration with a BK subwoofer. I tried a few small cabinets for the Eikona's but these sound the best, the shape certainly helps, very low baffle defraction effects, and also breaking up standing waves internally, aided by the damping material too. These are great wide range drivers, very transparent, clean, clear and work very well in the near field, about 3 feet away currently!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:53 PM   #4033
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuconz View Post
little speakers, equalization???

Yes, both topologies use lots of small drivers with different degrees of Eq, but I think the line array vs Dr Bose’s splashing 8/9ths of the sound off the back and side walls are radically different approaches to dispersion.
I’d used stacked pairs of 901s powered by Crown DC 300 or BGW500 amps as dance party systems “back in the day” and they could definitely play louder than safe, but were not refined, nor had any of the imaging specificity for which I’d be looking.
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:24 PM   #4034
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Yes, both topologies use lots of small drivers with different degrees of Eq, but I think the line array vs Dr Bose’s splashing 8/9ths of the sound off the back and side walls are radically different approaches to dispersion.
I’d used stacked pairs of 901s powered by Crown DC 300 or BGW500 amps as dance party systems “back in the day” and they could definitely play louder than safe, but were not refined, nor had any of the imaging specificity for which I’d be looking.
if i wasn't moving toward wall mounted systems (off the floor) i'd go with one of the PE systems by DB Keele or something like it from Visaton.
Old 14th October 2018, 12:02 PM   #4035
FyrBridd is offline FyrBridd
diyAudio Member

Default Tang Band W8-2145 Floorstanders

My finished for now Tang Band W8-2145 floorstanders, still need to be wrapped and some better isolated stands but already sounds great!

For those interested check out my blog for the build log Fyr Audio – My attempt to wrap my head around the world of DIY Audio
Old 21st October 2018, 07:10 PM   #4036
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

0.53x Karlsonator with dual 3FE25-16, finished in boiled linseed oil.

Last edited by xrk971; 21st October 2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 22nd October 2018, 01:25 AM   #4037
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Nice speakers X!
Old 22nd October 2018, 09:58 PM   #4038
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

How do you like the sound versus the usual foam X?
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:34 AM   #4039
thetubeguy1954 is offline thetubeguy1954  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
Thanks for the kind words tubeguy
You're quite welcome Poultry!

I try to keep my words to nice comments about a product or say nothing at all!

I'm listening to Portraits Of Cuba by Paquito D'Rivera

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society -- Full-range/Wide-range Drivers -- Front & Back-Loaded Horns -- High Sensitivity Speakers

==============================================
Old 24th October 2018, 03:37 PM   #4040
jjcarr is offline jjcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

Pic of my XL's in their new listening room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181023_203842.jpg (796.3 KB, 315 views)

Full Range Speaker Photo GalleryHide this!Advertise here!