Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery
Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2014, 07:33 PM   #2931
hkk is offline hkk  Finland
diyAudio Member

Small desktop TL-enclosure for Aurasound NS3 driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aurasound-NS3-TL7-front2.jpg (679.4 KB, 2319 views)
File Type: jpg Aurasound-NS3-TL3-back1.jpg (691.0 KB, 2124 views)
File Type: jpg Aurasound-NS3-TL-external-measures.jpg (705.0 KB, 1987 views)
Old 14th June 2014, 12:48 AM   #2932
TechnoMage is offline TechnoMage  United States
diyAudio Member

Here are my first speakers. I built them out of ABS pipe and used a pair of TangBand W3-871S drivers. I've actually had these drivers sitting around for about 7 years but last month I realized the fit perfectly inside a 3" ABS pipe. This is a sealed design and has just over a liter in volume.

There's a noticeable flaw in the paint job so I repainted them after I took this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140526_22_05_38_Pro__highres.jpg (709.5 KB, 1688 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140526_22_05_04_Pro__highres.jpg (759.5 KB, 1517 views)
Old 14th June 2014, 07:51 AM   #2933
mhouston is offline mhouston  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
Here are my first speakers. I built them out of ABS pipe and used a pair of TangBand W3-871S drivers. I've actually had these drivers sitting around for about 7 years but last month I realized the fit perfectly inside a 3" ABS pipe. This is a sealed design and has just over a liter in volume.

There's a noticeable flaw in the paint job so I repainted them after I took this photo.
Good work I Likey much, much. I have some TangBands which I have had for 7 years also. I think mine are the 5" drivers. Bay be some old drain pipes could make some rustic boxes for them.
Old 14th June 2014, 05:44 PM   #2934
thetubeguy1954 is offline thetubeguy1954  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlagger View Post
used the tang band W3-315E 3 inch
boxes are 10mm ply sides and i bent and glued 3mm mdf over the curved edges
then glued reenforcing on the inside

inside is a sure 25W X2 the pump to a nice voume put a led push buttin in one
for power switch on

so far the have been my favorite to listen to at reasonable levels nice mid and bass for speaker size and wattage
I agree with mhouston they do look professionally made!

I'm listening to: Continuum by Continuum

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
Old 17th June 2014, 05:26 AM   #2935
Goodlagger is offline Goodlagger  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks tubeguy

I enjoy the feed back I'll be posting a few more sets soon I'm working on
Old 17th June 2014, 07:02 PM   #2936
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouston View Post
Good work I Likey much, much. I have some TangBands which I have had for 7 years also. I think mine are the 5" drivers. Bay be some old drain pipes could make some rustic boxes for them.
So I've decided to make an addition to them. They don't sound bad but just as I expected from my pre-modeling, they really need more volume. I'm going to add a 24" section of pipe between the "T" and the top cap. After compensating for the overlap I figure this will take my volume from a little over 1 liter to a little over 5 liters.
Old 17th June 2014, 10:13 PM   #2937
mhouston is offline mhouston  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So I've decided to make an addition to them. They don't sound bad but just as I expected from my pre-modeling, they really need more volume. I'm going to add a 24" section of pipe between the "T" and the top cap. After compensating for the overlap I figure this will take my volume from a little over 1 liter to a little over 5 liters.
Let's know how it goes.
Old 18th June 2014, 01:10 AM   #2938
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you do this and keep both ends closed, you might have some 1/2-wave resonance going on. Opening the far end will result in 1/4-wave resonance. Either way, the behavior will deviate from a more boxy sealed enclosure. You can use MJK's workseets or Hornresp to get a better idea what this will result in. Hornresp is free and can now model stuffing, which might be something that could be useful here.

What was the simulated Qtc for your current sealed volume?
Old 18th June 2014, 04:11 AM   #2939
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post
If you do this and keep both ends closed, you might have some 1/2-wave resonance going on. Opening the far end will result in 1/4-wave resonance. Either way, the behavior will deviate from a more boxy sealed enclosure. You can use MJK's workseets or Hornresp to get a better idea what this will result in. Hornresp is free and can now model stuffing, which might be something that could be useful here.

What was the simulated Qtc for your current sealed volume?
So I've attached an image showing the modeling within WinISD. Current setup is the blue line (1.25 L enclosure with a Qtc of 1.115. My planned arrangement is the yellow line (5.25 L enclosure with a Qtc of 0.881. I do plan to fill the extension tubes with polyfill.

Speaker building is fairly new to me (these were my first speakers) and I suck at wood working so my options are limited. I also don't have any way to really monitor the speakers after I build them so I'm just going by "ear".
Attached Images
File Type: png 3 inch Sealed T.png (197.0 KB, 276 views)
Old 18th June 2014, 12:26 PM   #2940
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So I've attached an image showing the modeling within WinISD. Current setup is the blue line (1.25 L enclosure with a Qtc of 1.115. My planned arrangement is the yellow line (5.25 L enclosure with a Qtc of 0.881. I do plan to fill the extension tubes with polyfill.

Speaker building is fairly new to me (these were my first speakers) and I suck at wood working so my options are limited. I also don't have any way to really monitor the speakers after I build them so I'm just going by "ear".
Yep, sure does look like it might want a bit more volume. When using stuffing inside a sealed enclosure, you can raise the apparent volume by ~25% over the physical Vb, until the point where adding more stuffing starts to actually reduce the volume. Your planned 5.25L might look like ~6.5L if you add a fair stuffing density all over. If this is then larger than you want, adding enough pipe to raise Vb to 4.2L and stuffing would result in ~5.25L apparent volume. I would not advise going to too low a Qtc with a small driver with a high f3, as it will risk sounding anemic, unless you use a helper or sub-woofer. That new Qtc of ~0.88 looks decent to me, high enough to keep some liveliness to the mid/upper bass and the extra power below ~160Hz will definitely make a difference.

Everyone sucks at woodworking when they've never done it or only begun, don't let it discourage you. Conversely, don't let that stop you from exploring alternative enclosures such as the pipes here. Once you've settled on a volume and stuffing density you like, make sure to use ABS glue on the pipe caps to give it a good seal.

Last edited by IG81; 18th June 2014 at 12:28 PM.

Full Range Speaker Photo GalleryHide this!Advertise here!