Extreme thin (depth) cabinet for FE83E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi groups,

Here come my first post here :) and want to ask some questions, that maybe silly idea.

Recently I am searching for some small speaker for my computer. And finally come to a showroom that displayed many different brand of computer spearker. I take out my discman and listen to each speaker one by one and, well, all sounded in a mess even listen to some US$150 Altec model. Recently I saw some articles talk about Fostex full range with very good comment. But I also saw that the enclosure design recommanded officially are some very big stuff. I wonder that if i can build a speaker that with very small enclosure, and then power it will T-amp for my computer.

Now some questions:
- I do not have any experience on speaker building, is that ok for building Fostex full range?
- I would like to use simple design like the lower diagram of this guide: http://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexcabs/83e_revencl.pdf Is it possible that I lower the depth of enclosure to, said, 15cm?

Thanks for help!

Unless you modify a sealed cabinet, you must take into cosideration the volume variation to tune the box correctly.

In your case, you seem to want very special dimensions : it is possible, and you'll have to create your own design for that. Creating a bass reflex enclosure is very simple : get a simple simulation software such as WinISD, and design your own ported box with it.

I haven't heard the Fe87e, but I'd rather choose the ff85k to get more highs if the speakers are not on axis. Fostex drivers are always good

But I prefer to warn you : this kind of speaker isn't able to deliver bass, unless you horn load them.

You can also use a small sub.

If you are looking for a fullrange speaker system, go for "tougher" drivers such as TangBands.

You can have a look at the two designs I created for the TB-W3-871S :

http://youyoung21147.site.voila.fr/hcw3871s.html

The small speaker is small but has not enough bass.
The bigger one are excellent for fullrange operation. I love them !

Hope it helps !

Scottmoose said:
Expect 0 action under 150Hz if you're lucky. But the rest will make you smile.
Scott

I don't agree on this statement : my TB go down to 63Hz -0dB with the same ease as at 150Hz. It surprised me how such small drivers can move long waves !

But I agree bigger drivers are better : they handle more power, have more dynamics, and off course, have more bass !

I'v got a pair of Aurasound NS3-194-8E 3" full range and a pair of ff 85 k's in some small TL enclosures hooked to my computer they sound great together. I started with just the 85's then was going to roll some other speakers threw the TL's just to see how they sounded. one day I was playing around and hooked them together just them setting on my desk and couldn't belive how much more alive they souned. I'm going to try them on some small OB's next. Sometimes just playing around leeds to something good. Oh ya they do need bass reinforcement but not much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.