little guidance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought 4 of Apex jr's 6" Cerwin Vega speakers to build a set of M T M's. I was using Win ISD to design a box for them and I have been coming up with a really large enclosure design. It's calculating almost 10 cubic feet! I guess maybe I need some help using WinISD.

The only spec he has not provided is XMass so I just left it out. WinISD still calculated without it. Is that a critical measurment for this software to work?

Here are the specs he gives.

Cerwin-Vega 6" 16 ohm woofer good for MTM system $5.00ea.

Fs 58.48, Vas 20.05 l, Qts 0.8872, Qes 1.1012, Qms 4.5655, Re 14.88 ohms, Rm 0.739 ohms, Le 0.2540 mH, Spl 87.45 dB @ 1W/1M, cone area 0.0133m^2

Link

http://www.apexjr.com/speakerstuff.html

Any help with a design would be appriciated. At $5 each I just coulden't resist. Maybe it was a bad choice of driver.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

WinISD is giving you accurate enough numbers, with the large size due primarily to the high Qts, which BTW is too high for a standard vented design, making either sealed, aperiodic, or OB the obvious choices for a MTM, though you could do them as isobaric to reduce the cab size for a TM.

Anyway, since they will need a sub regardless, ~aperiodic would be my choice to get a good blend to it around 80 Hz and keep the cab size reasonable, so I recommend a MTM TL.

GM

Yes, simulated response through WinISD.

I agree, this driver has a high Qts rather adapted to a sealed enclosure.

If you want them to operate fullrange, maybe this driver isn't the most adapted.

Try simulating a transmission line using Martin's worksheets

www.quarter-wave.com

Various Transmission Line contours (TQWT, TL, straight pipe...) can fit the widest range of driver possible I think, so it may be worth a try !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.