Used Full Range drivers, second life..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: drivers lesson

Sylver300B said:
I am just saying that at the time, my Noresco speakers were not a great match for the amplifier

All these Norescos are am example of great drivers in mediocre boxes --all the isophones for instance really need to be on open baffles. At lest the boxes make good shelving (of the some 25+ pair of norescos i've had thru here 2 pr of the boxes were plywood and worth recycling into another set of speakers -- with mods of course)

which ones?

dave

Re: Re: Re: Re: drivers lesson

planet10 said:

which ones?

dave

Hi Dave,

Since I never had big bucks, I almost always bought used models. I bought a pair of IMF-TLS 50 , used, some 20 years ago. They are great speakers. Tough to match to an amp, but once you did, and have a pretty big room.. .gee, they really sing. I believe in two way and full range speakers, as a rule. Keep it simple, but these 4 ways can hardly be faulted, I think. Could not get myself to sell these.. though they are unused for a long while.

I saw a pair of TLS 80 for sale lately. It was hard to resist, but I had no choice other than pass.. :(

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: drivers lesson

planet10 said:

I had TLS-80s ... broke them up to fix other peoples (they had already had a different B139 installed in one of them). The TLs50 is my favorite thou... some pretty easy tweaks can be done on them (and some major ones).

dave

I haven't really heard a TLS-80, but I was deeply in love with a pair of Mark IV ;) but could not afford them.

The TLS-50 are really nice in my view. There are different versions of it though. Mines are the old one. Kef and Celef drivers?

The cabinets are not that great, nor that bad, but the overall combination definetely work.

Let me know about these improvements. I might take them back to service. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK... just went thru my isophon pictures and found 3 more that are from Norescos... newer ones and rarer (in my experience...

This is an 8" midbass... i can't recall what tweeter it came with

dave

Attachments

• isophon-p203-8mb.jpg
    isophon-p203-8mb.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 953
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Next up i'll do isophons found in console hifis. Nordmendes seem to be the best source for alnico ones and i'll start with those. As i get to the end, i'm just not sure where some of these drivers came from (some drivers were collected for me with no source info). Missing from these will be the isophon SE ESL tweeters -- there are a passle of those and i'll put them all together.

Time to go to bed... gotta get up early tomorro and deliver a 20" iMac.

dave

planet10 said:

This is an 8" midbass... i can't recall what tweeter it came with

dave

Hi Dave,

About these 8" midbass drivers.. I have a pair that look very similar, except for the suspension that is paper accordeon, in the Nordmende console. I'll have to check it out, might rather be 6" rather than 8", not sure yet.

Nice collection that you have here. Then, all these Ebay buyers of Isophon drivers, how do they use these drivers? full range blh? dipoles?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sylver300B said:
About these 8" midbass drivers.. I have a pair that look very similar, except for the suspension that is paper accordeon, in the Nordmende console. I'll have to check it out, might rather be 6" rather than 8", not sure yet.

I have at least 3 accordian surround 8s (or more like 7") in the queue... do yours have grey magnet Us or (the VERY RARE) red ones?

all these Ebay buyers of Isophon drivers, how do they use these drivers? full range blh? dipoles?

Most othen FR (or with a helper tweeter) and more often than not in an OB.

dave

The accordian surround Isophons are older vintage than the cloth/rubber surrounds.
Big mass loaded Voight pipes get the best bass out of these drivers without loading them to much. They are designed for Open baffles but then they would probably benefit from a helper subwoofer. Definately need a helper tweeter to give them a bit of sparkle, crossed in very high.

Dave if you ever come across any red magnets you want to sell drop me a line.

Shoog

planet10 said:

Most othen FR (or with a helper tweeter) and more often than not in an OB.

dave

Throw me some light here, I am not familiar with the usual terms, like "FR" (must be Full Range? ;) ) and "OB" no idea for that one.

Yes, I think they are red..

The Nordmende console is at my mom's cottage. We are actually selling this nice old cottage, I'll miss it for the rest of my days.. but I'll keep the Nordmende console with me..

Re: Re: Reds

planet10 said:
If you have red ones.... well i might just have to get to the cottage before you do :D

dave

Let's have no false hopes... I am not sure at all if mines are reds or not, but definitely, these drivers look like mines. Your pics show both, the greys and reds, they look identical to me except for the color. What are the differences exactly? Do they sound different? or is it just the "rarity" that makes them so sought after? and "if" mines are reds = does it mean that I'm rich? ;)

Tell me more..

:D

Bigger magnet = better control over the cone = more detail & tighter bass.

When you consider the quality of sound these drivers make with grey magnets and then the extra quality you get with reds, you will understand why they are sought after.

Also consider that Alnico magnets are hugely stronger than ceramic and you start to understand the power that those red magnets will have.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.